250 XTP load broke my extractor

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 250 XTP load broke my extractor

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 am

Not sure what the standard 7.62x39 bolt is made from and yes, I have read repeatedly "designed to run with standard AR parts...", but this bolt looks interesting. Not sure if you have to buy the barrel extension to work with it also though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:Exactly! I don't know about the AR10 extractor, But this 7.62 extractor works great.(should have ordered more than one)

Sorry if it comes off like I'm whining about my parts request from BM, I got the thing running, But would like to see BM do the right thing.

Yeah, I called Tom at BM and left him a message, telling him their is a fly in the ointment and to get a move on. Hope that helps, but those Bureaucracies can sometimes get gummed up..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks wildcatter, I got a E-mail from him today ( Just checked my E-mail ) Said the package was sent and It should have been here already, Said he's sending out another.

I'll post here when the parts arrive.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 am

You Know, I'm wondering.. There are several methods of US Mail Shipping. The cheap method takes anybody, from anywhere in the Continental, two or more weeks to get any size letter or package to me. The cheap, slow method is what most businesses use. Now, many times I have been told a product was shipped, even next day air, only for the company to find out that their shipping dept., sent the package, slow boat??? Just thinking??? ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 am

wildcatter wrote:You Know, I'm wondering.. There are several methods of US Mail Shipping. The cheap method takes anybody, from anywhere in the Continental, two or more weeks to get any size letter or package to me. The cheap, slow method is what most businesses use. Now, many times I have been told a product was shipped, even next day air, only for the company to find out that their shipping dept., sent the package, slow boat??? Just thinking??? ..t

That's a good point ..t. The nasty two words of shipping. Parcel Post :twisted: rears it's ugly head
Living in the middle of the country, any time someone insists on shipping Parcel Past from either coast, it's the time kiss of death. You folks think you've seen me rant. You ain't seen nothing like how I go off when I order something and the seller wants say, $5.00 s/h via Parcel Post :twisted: So, I look up the cost difference upgrading for it's weight to First Class and its like $.42, so I re-contact the seller and offer to send the additional $.42 and I get "Oh noooo, we only ship one method and that's Parcel Post" :twisted: Better yet is the reply "Oh we can ship First Class, but that'll cost you $8.50" WTF! In my mind's eye, I see this fellow like Mr. Haney from Green Acres sitting at his Shipping Manager's desk on the other end of the line. I can personally assure you, the conniption fit is still alive and well. Around my house, Parcel Post :twisted: is fightin words!

Just trying to lighten the mood... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Great news, I received my replacement extractor today from BM, The first package that was sent out over three weeks ago is still MIA, Tom from Bushmaster got right back to me about my inquiry about said missing package and threw another extractor along with an ejector into a envelope and two dayed it to me.

Now to measure the 7.62 extractor and the 450 extractor to see if they ARE using 7.62 Extractors now?

Seems that BM is very busy these days (Good for them), So if you brake an extractor and are itching to shoot your thumper order a 7.62 extractor from midway or from who ever and be patient but persistent with BM and you will get your part. Also doesn't hurt to have someone like wildcatter going to bat for you also. ;)
oldmanjeffers

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 pm

My Pleasure, hope it works for you...it will.

Sounds like something fell through the cracks with bushy, happens. Even the best of companies have their snaffu's. Think not, just consider, I was going to be a rocket scientist/brain surgeon, but ended up just a good 'ol boy gun hack instead, wink. ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby michael5446 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:44 pm

wow..., all i can say is never ever ever use locktite in your reloads to hold the bullet in place, its nothing more than heat activated glue(300 - 500 degrees) that will gum up everything from the case neck on down the barrel.... use a Lee Taper Crimp die for the .45... it squeezes the bullet as far as you want and can almost put a girdle on the neck... i'm not promoting lee dies here, i think the factory hornandy reload dies work great... the lee taper crimp die works the the best to lockem down...

just a thought

cheers
michael5446

Postby pitted bore » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm

michael5446 wrote:use a Lee Taper Crimp die for the .45... it squeezes the bullet as far as you want and can almost put a girdle on the neck... i'm not promoting lee dies here, i think the factory hornandy reload dies work great... the lee taper crimp die works the the best to lockem down..

michael5446-
Could you clarify just which Lee die you are discussing?

Below is a link to the web page on the Lee Precision web site that shows all the crimp dies Lee makes.
It would be really helpful if you could identify your die precisely by part number. Last spring there were some extended discussions on this forum of various Lee crimp dies.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1286840952.5602=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
(The catalog list of pistol dies starts about half-way down the page.)

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby oldmanjeffers » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:54 pm

michael5446 wrote:wow..., all i can say is never ever ever use locktite in your reloads to hold the bullet in place, its nothing more than heat activated glue(300 - 500 degrees) that will gum up everything from the case neck on down the barrel.... use a Lee Taper Crimp die for the .45... it squeezes the bullet as far as you want and can almost put a girdle on the neck... i'm not promoting lee dies here, i think the factory hornandy reload dies work great... the lee taper crimp die works the the best to lockem down...

just a thought

cheers

I now use a modified 45-70 factory crimp die, I used the locktite on very few rounds and have yet to use it again.
oldmanjeffers

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b