Lead Free

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lead Free

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am

Hey everyone, my Father In-Law just asked me if I wanted to go on a pig hunt.. I answered of course!

one drawback.. I need lead free ammo to hunt here in this great state of california....

I think I am going to try the Barnes XPB 250 Grain Solid Copper Hollow Point (.451")

Does anyone have any experience with this bullet?

I would be open to try other bullets if anyone has any suggestions.. i saw several barnes muzzle loader offerings, but i wasnt sure about the availability of data for those...

Thanks for any input!

if all else fails, i'll pick up some lil gun and some primers ad order these and work up a load. My Father in-law has a crono and all that jazz so he could help me out if i need it.
thebrassnuckles

Re: Lead Free

Postby Siringo » Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am

275 grain Barnes bullet, 35.0 grains of LG and WSR primer. If not Winchester, try rem 7 1/2. Check in the knowledge base -- that is where the load is. I worked it up and shoots good.

The 250 XPB bullets are for 454 velocities and will shear the petals off at our speeds. Try the 275 gr XPB instead -- it was designed for the 460 S&W. Will hold up to our impact velocities.

I had '0' luck with their muzzleloader bullets. Measure .4505 and fill the bore with copper. The relief cuts on the 275 greatly reduce the copper fouling.

Good Hunting!
Siringo

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 am

Hot damn. I knew I could count on you guys!

I must have looked right at the load in the data base.. :oops:

i'll pick up some powder and primers tiday

also, since i'm ordering from midway.. should i buy some of the 200gr XPBs too?
thebrassnuckles

Postby BayouBob » Fri May 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Unless you are set up to side crimp the 200 grainers don't leave a lot of bullet for the case to get a grip on.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I am infact set up to side crimp... the die in the fcd mod thread was mine...

I skipped on the 200gr and grabbed some 160 gr tac-xp bullets to load in my 45gap so I can carry my sidearm whilst hunting in lead-free-zone :roll:
thebrassnuckles

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Siringo wrote:275 grain Barnes bullet, 35.0 grains of LG and WSR primer. If not Winchester, try rem 7 1/2. Check in the knowledge base -- that is where the load is. I worked it up and shoots good.

The 250 XPB bullets are for 454 velocities and will shear the petals off at our speeds. Try the 275 gr XPB instead -- it was designed for the 460 S&W. Will hold up to our impact velocities.

I had '0' luck with their muzzleloader bullets. Measure .4505 and fill the bore with copper. The relief cuts on the 275 greatly reduce the copper fouling.

Good Hunting!

Siringo- Digging up an old post here but I'm in the same situation with wanting to hunt hogs in the Condor zone with my 450 BM. This load here with the Barnes 275 grain XPB, does the crimp ring on the bullet cause a problem with the taper crimp? Do you seat to the top of the ring?
Weapon of Choice

Postby Siringo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 pm

I had seated just to the base of the top ring, then taper crimped. I kept my OAL to 2.230 inches. You might have to fiddle with them a bit to get the right spot with your brass. Some have used a side crimp in the other grooves. A narrow side crimp with a slight taper crimp might be the ticket with the Barnes bullets.

Avoid expanding your cases, as these bullets measure .451" instead of .452".

I did not do a lot of load experimentation with these due to the cost.
Siringo

Return to Reloading for the 450b