Load recipe using 200 grain FTX & Lil Gun?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Load recipe using 200 grain FTX & Lil Gun?

Postby Texican Hairless » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:00 pm

I picked up 300 of the blemished FTX 200 grainers from Midway when they had them on sale a few months ago. I'd like to reload them but am not quite sure of how much Lil Gun I should start out with. I don't have a chronograph to check my velocities. If someone who's loaded them could give me a good safe place to start I can work up from there. I'll be using Rem No. 7 1/2 primers. Thanks to anyone who can help!
Texican Hairless

Re: Load recipe using 200 grain FTX & Lil Gun?

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Welcome to the electronic campfire here...Hoot just worked up loads for 200 grainers this summer. I'm sure he'll have some info for you. You should use the search function on the site here to see what all has been said about 200gr loads previously. Enjoy!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 pm

In a 20" unit, start with 36gr, Seat the bullets to almost bury the front cannelure ~2.19 COL and taper crimp to around .476" right at the edge of the mouth. That's the best accuracy load, not the most blistering speed. Anywhere between 36 and 38gr yields MOA or better groups at 100 yards if you do your part. If you have a 16" shorty, I can't say if the same loads will yield the same results.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texican Hairless » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks Hoot. I did find your previous writeup on the 200's. My goal is to work up a good load for hog and aoudad hunting so I'm willing to sacrifice a little accuracy to try and reach the KE of the factory 250 gr load. Based upon your previous research I think I may start around 38 gr and work up until pressure signs start to appear.
Texican Hairless

Return to Reloading for the 450b