Opinions or advice on the use of plated bullets needed

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Opinions or advice on the use of plated bullets needed

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm

BayouBob wrote:Hoot, Don't you have a buddy that would put on a mask and a snorkle and sit on the bottom of the deep end of the old swimming hole on the creek and watch where the bullets go when you shoot into the water? Down here in the deep south that would just be one of those "Hey ya'll, watch this" moments. (In the south "Hey ya'll, watch this" is regarded as a legal suicide note!)

I don't care who you are, that's funny! Image

Hoot is the nickname put on me by my Grandpaw in West Virginia, after the cowboy star Hoot Gibson, who I idolized as a small boy.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

BayouBob wrote:(In the south "Hey ya'll, watch this" is regarded as a legal suicide note!)

Only if it is followed by yumptoo somewhere in the statement.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby oldmanjeffers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Well against everyones advice not to use plated bullets in the 450BM, I loaded up a few (20) and gave them a try today.

This was my load

255gr plated SWC
38grs of W296
2.030 OAL

The first shot hit about 3 foot low at 100 Yards and sprayed the ground in front of me (found that out later) with what I assume was the plating of the bullet.

The second shot hit just past the 50 yard mark (while aiming at the 100 yard zero) and again sprayed the ground in front of me with copper.

At that point I unloaded the rifle much to the range masters delight and checked to make sure the rifles bore was free from any "left overs". I now have 18 rounds of that load that I will pull down, Melt down the lead, Re-size the brass, And entertain my daughter with the powder out in the front street.

I'm one of those guys that with some things I just gotta see it for my self. No one was hurt and the range master now has one more re-loader to keep an eye on. :oops:

Wildcatter, I could not find the thread that you stated you were looking for cheep bulk bullets but I found some, Their .451 230gr FMJ's. Here's the address

www.rozedist.com/
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:18 am

OMJ,

I see you are worm hunting, again. Hey! Don't laugh you guys, Some of these charging worms are tough to bring down..wink

To be sure, not all of the plated bullets break up at our speeds.

Thanks for the url..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 pm

"Some of these charging worms are tough to bring down..wink"

LOL... t

Talked to a guy at a local gun shop that uses the 458, He has some custom solid brass bullets made that were of the speer point style, Says He'll have the info for me on Tuesday, Going back out for pigs Monday..... With FACTORY hornady ammo :D
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b