Opinions or advice on the use of plated bullets needed

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Opinions or advice on the use of plated bullets needed

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:46 am

I've got 255 gr FP and 250 gr FP plated bullets both .451 sitting around and want to try them in the 450? You all have any load data to start with on these?

I though these would be a fun plinking bullet and would like to keep them around 1800 FPS.

Thanks in advance.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Re: Opinions or advice on the use of plated bullets needed

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Just don't shoot them over a chrony. My first venture into using those Berry bullets sent a couple of mustache hair sized shards into the chrony. The first shot embedded a shard into one of the sky filters. The second shot embedded a shard into the plastic guard in front of the display, just short of trashing it. After that, I moved the chrony and shot the remaining three. In their defense, the flew where they were supposed to. They seem to squash easily like when crimping them into those ill-fated 284 cases. That would make getting good neck tension a challenge.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks Hoot, Any starting charge weights with 296 or lilgun? I was thinking around 30gr of lilgun and about 32grs of W296 with both weights of bullets but wanted to compare to others info.

I am now using a Ross brake and wonder if that will be an issue?
oldmanjeffers

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Just read the post about UNDER charging..... Well maybe I'll start a little higher?
oldmanjeffers

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:38 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:Thanks Hoot, Any starting charge weights with 296 or lilgun? I was thinking around 30gr of lilgun and about 32grs of W296 with both weights of bullets but wanted to compare to others info.

I am now using a Ross brake and wonder if that will be an issue?

The brake should not be an issue. No experience with 296, but going from the tables in the knowledge base, I'd start it at 35gr Lil Gun or 38 grains of 296.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Got it, Thanks hoot!
oldmanjeffers

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 am

would these plated bullets have the same problems lead bullets do when passing by the gas port getting a little chunck blown off by the high pressure gasses?
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:48 am

thebrassnuckles wrote:would these plated bullets have the same problems lead bullets do when passing by the gas port getting a little chunck blown off by the high pressure gasses?

Good question. I've never recovered one to check, but my gut feeling is no. The copper skin, while thin and flexible is still a hard substance. I guess it will take someone with a swimming pool to find out. Always wished I knew someone who lives out in the boonies with an in-the-ground pool for testing.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby BayouBob » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Hoot, Don't you have a buddy that would put on a mask and a snorkle and sit on the bottom of the deep end of the old swimming hole on the creek and watch where the bullets go when you shoot into the water? Down here in the deep south that would just be one of those "Hey ya'll, watch this" moments. (In the south "Hey ya'll, watch this" is regarded as a legal suicide note!)
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby gunnut » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I've never tried the plated bullets. I have tried the copper clad and results were NOT Good! I was getting jacket separation. some hit the ground at 25 FT others never hit the target at 25yrds. "Not sure where they went".Very scary! The jacket could have been damaged by the crimp or maybe they just blew apart when fire.
In either case it's FMJs only for me! 230grn. Zero's are working just fine.
gunnut

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b