Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Yeah...you're just glad you finally got 'em through that steel plate! I remember your hints of hang-dawg when they didn't make it all the way through on a previous post... :lol: Can't wait for the action production!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby dale » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Mine LOVES 45 gr under 230's. Action cycles flawlessly, brass falls in a pile. they'll blow a small block chevy water pump in half too. :shock:

I've been through about 250 at that loading, worried me at first, i'd pull the bolt after each session looking for damage, but none. They feel almost tamer than the factory loads to me. I seem to have less extractor marking/brass abuse with these loads than the factory loads as well.
dale
dale

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 pm

My experience has been similar. The action seems to cycle very well and my brass looked great I've still got some pictures to review and a video to finish.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 am

The MagTech 230 gr FMJ is listed as having a diameter of .451 vs .452 for the Hornady 250 gr and 225 gr FTX. I am assuming that the missing .001 is not significant?

Also re the bullet drop chart, while the BM round and the .308 look pretty much the same out to 400 yds, I am wondering what the actual drop is. Since the vertical scale is 1200 inches (100 feet, if my math is correct), I think there is still a difference of 20" or so at 400 yards, which is not visible on the chart.

Now, to go read up on the LG crimp. Unless someone would like to explain it further here?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:33 am

You should be able to find the LG crimp discussions and pics using the search function on the campfire here...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:56 am

Jim in Houston wrote:The MagTech 230 gr FMJ is listed as having a diameter of .451 vs .452 for the Hornady 250 gr and 225 gr FTX. I am assuming that the missing .001 is not significant?

Also re the bullet drop chart, while the BM round and the .308 look pretty much the same out to 400 yds, I am wondering what the actual drop is. Since the vertical scale is 1200 inches (100 feet, if my math is correct), I think there is still a difference of 20" or so at 400 yards, which is not visible on the chart.

Now, to go read up on the LG crimp. Unless someone would like to explain it further here?

Here are a couple of recent topics.
http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1507

http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2286
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am

That's awesome Dawg!!! I knew you were gonna get through that plate pretty soon. ;)
bushmeister

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Hey dawg how much would you charge for some of those bad boys, if I sent you the brass and had box of bullets delivered?
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:48 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:Hey dawg how much would you charge for some of those bad boys, if I sent you the brass and had box of bullets delivered?

Due to liability concerns, and the fact that every rifle has small variations in chambers, I can't load for others. These loads MUST be carefully worked up in the rifle that they will be used in. I'm very sorry. But your safety is most important.
Also, for what it would cost you in the components, brass and ORMD/HazMat shipping costs, you could probably get a good start on a set of dies. I wished there was a short cut but fact is, QuickLoad indicates that these loads have the potential of exceeding SAMMI pressures.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote:Hey dawg how much would you charge for some of those bad boys, if I sent you the brass and had box of bullets delivered?

Due to liability concerns, and the fact that every rifle has small variations in chambers, I can't load for others. These loads MUST be carefully worked up in the rifle that they will be used in. I'm very sorry. But your safety is most important.
Also, for what it would cost you in the components, brass and ORMD/HazMat shipping costs, you could probably get a good start on a set of dies. I wished there was a short cut but fact is, QuickLoad indicates that these loads have the potential of exceeding SAMMI pressures.

And they do, remember I say that Hornady's Lawyers won the engineering argument, for they were the ones that set the SAMMI Spec., as your loads seem to prove. BUUTTT, as you said ..""These loads MUST be carefully worked up in the rifle that they will be used in. I'm very sorry. But your safety is most important.""..

Meaning, it doesn't matter what I or others say, Standard Safety Procedures are your responsibility and yours alone!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b