Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:04 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Yeah...you're just glad you finally got 'em through that steel plate! I remember your hints of hang-dawg when they didn't make it all the way through on a previous post... :lol: Can't wait for the action production!

You new guys may have missed these tests.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5052&start=0
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Finally got the video finished and uploaded...
Enjoy, subscribe and comment.
Sorry there was so much silence. I had some great music to go with it, but youtube objected. :evil:
I had to re-edit and cut out all of the music except for one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPd208W2CE8
I may still have one copy as originally published...It is awesome.
Might put it on a DVD for home entertainment.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm

This is what the brass looked like from the tests.
The brass with sharpie marks are the ones used to hit the steel plate.
44.0 Grains.
44.3 Grains.
44.5 Grains.
45.0 Grains.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AR_Hunter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I enjoyed the video Dawg and gave it the thumbs up. When I eventually get the time (got twin boys on the way) to do some reloading I'll be using this info. Keep up the good work!
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 pm

How about sticking a probe into those RR ties to see how far they penetrated after the steel. Not that the steel wasn't enough of an accomplishment. Just idle curiosity. As I said in the email. The brass look to be no worse for wear and tear. For my chamber tolerances, I've gotten some brass that looked a lot worse after shooting some lighter, bullets over 45gr of Lil Gun and the difference in results is quite thought provoking. I've got some results from testing the same Magtechs, same powder, different primer though and at 42gr, I stopped due to significant head imprinting from the ejector and extractor. Lower velocities also. Go figure...

XGreat work and photo-documentation!

Hoot

EDIT: FWIW, from my Magtech tests back in July 2010, my loads above 38gr and up to 42gr had the 100 yd groups open way up and all over the place. I forgot to add , though similar loadings to yours, My COL was 2.05 not 2.125, so as to get half the diameter of the bullet seated into the case. Might be all the difference it took to give such different pressure signs. Can't say since I never retested at longer COLs. May be time to revisit that one.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Hoot wrote:How about sticking a probe into those RR ties to see how far they penetrated after the steel. Not that the steel wasn't enough of an accomplishment. Just idle curiosity. As I said in the email. The brass look to be no worse for wear and tear. For my chamber tolerances, I've gotten some brass that looked a lot worse after shooting some lighter, bullets over 45gr of Lil Gun and the difference in results is quite thought provoking. I've got some results from testing the same Magtechs, same powder, different primer though and at 42gr, I stopped due to significant head imprinting from the ejector and extractor. Lower velocities also. Go figure...

XGreat work and photo-documentation!

Hoot

EDIT: FWIW, from my Magtech tests back in July 2010, my loads above 38gr and up to 42gr had the 100 yd groups open way up and all over the place. I forgot to add , though similar loadings to yours, My COL was 2.05 not 2.125, so as to get half the diameter of the bullet seated into the case. Might be all the difference it took to give such different pressure signs. Can't say since I never retested at longer COLs. May be time to revisit that one.

I'd say so, I've been trying to get the guys to experiment is this fashion for some time now. Of course, for you new guys, this experimenting is not for the faint of heart and can be dangerous. Note: that Hoot here and the Dawg and Gunny had far different results. Gunny was shooting that 45gr loading for about two years now. I recommended it to him and he did the safety verification and the results are stunning. Now you've got the Dawg-Man, killing all manor of evil steel targets with it.

Fun Video, Dawg, keep up the great work..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

wildcatter wrote:I'd say so, I've been trying to get the guys to experiment is this fashion for some time now. Of course, for you new guys, this experimenting is not for the faint of heart and can be dangerous. Note: that Hoot here and the Dawg and Gunny had far different results. Gunny was shooting that 45gr loading for about two years now. I recommended it to him and he did the safety verification and the results are stunning. Now you've got the Dawg-Man, killing all manor of evil steel targets with it.

..t

Problem with those 230s is they have no hollow point to reduce the weight for a given length and as such, they're just plain short to start with, barely longer than they are wide. The truncated FMJs have a little more bearing surface, so perhaps that's something worth considering also. I really do like to hold to the tenet that you should have a minimum of 1/2 the diameter of seating depth. Hollow point designs are naturally longer for the same weight and and can naturally be loaded longer while maintaining the minimum 1/2 Dia, seating depth. While I acknowledge the attributes of them, It truly pains me to scar up my costly and limited inventory of decent brass with stab crimps, especially deep ones that never seem to iron out no matter what.

It's a tough call for me.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Hoot....
On the 44.5 grain shot, the bullet put a dent about a 1/4" deep in the railroad tie.
On the 45.0 grain shot, the bullet put a hole about 3/4" deep in the railroad tie.
Both bounced out, I think mostly due to the steel "slug" that the bullet took out of the steel plate. In the slow mo segment, you will see the bullet bounce up and over the steel plate. I still haven't found it.
I know this sounds as if the bullet performance after the plate is substandard, but what I'm trying to show is how the bullet might perform on hawg armor or other wild game.... Not a Sherman Tank. However, maybe this performance might be of interest to our border warriors trying to ventilate and disable a drug cartel vehicle.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:I'd say so, I've been trying to get the guys to experiment is this fashion for some time now. Of course, for you new guys, this experimenting is not for the faint of heart and can be dangerous. Note: that Hoot here and the Dawg and Gunny had far different results. Gunny was shooting that 45gr loading for about two years now. I recommended it to him and he did the safety verification and the results are stunning. Now you've got the Dawg-Man, killing all manor of evil steel targets with it.

..t

Problem with those 230s is they have no hollow point to reduce the weight for a given length and as such, they're just plain short to start with, barely longer than they are wide. The truncated FMJs have a little more bearing surface, so perhaps that's something worth considering also. I really do like to hold to the tenet that you should have a minimum of 1/2 the diameter of seating depth. Hollow point designs are naturally longer for the same weight and and can naturally be loaded longer while maintaining the minimum 1/2 Dia, seating depth. While I acknowledge the attributes of them, It truly pains me to scar up my costly and limited inventory of decent brass with stab crimps, especially deep ones that never seem to iron out no matter what.

It's a tough call for me.

Hoot

Hoot, I will measure the difference in the Mag Techs and those Hornady FMJ Flat Points bearing Surface and just to let everyone know, my next test group is going to be the hornadys.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip...I know this sounds as if the bullet performance after the plate is substandard...snip...

Not hardly. Given it punches through 7/16" steel and quite honestly, before you accomplished that, I would not have taken a bet it would be capable of doing that if someone were offering me 10:1 odds. That's the best part about what otherwise looks like the FMJ voted most likely not to succeed at that particular mission. That's the best part about it. Who cares if it penetrates RR timbers after that.

That's like saying "Look, Superman just leaped over that building in a single bound!" and some downer dude saying "Yeah, but now he's so winded, he's not more powerful than a locomotive." I thought that was a bullet flying out over the top, but like you said, couldn't say for sure.

So very very cool....

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b