Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Mag Tech 230 Gr. FMJ testing.

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Like I said. There were "some" signs of pressure. But yes. Will take pics soon.
And thanx for the compliments. But everybody knows the guy with the guitar really made the video worth watching!
Thank you Phil Keaggy!

Was there an audio track? I compute with the system sound off and the stereo across the room playing. Oops :oops:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Like I said. There were "some" signs of pressure. But yes. Will take pics soon.
And thanx for the compliments. But everybody knows the guy with the guitar really made the video worth watching!
Thank you Phil Keaggy!

Was there an audio track? I compute with the system sound off and the stereo across the room playing. Oops :oops:

Hoot

You're killin me Hoot
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby randyf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I would like to see the results of a "water jug" test using some 350 gr. soft points...........anybody game ??
randyf

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:29 pm

randyf wrote:I would like to see the results of a "water jug" test using some 350 gr. soft points...........anybody game ??

Randy, are you referring to a sized down .458 bullet? While they don't represent the ultimate source in bullet selection, I could not find any .452 jacketed soft point bullets weighing 350 grains on Midway,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby randyf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am

Hoot wrote:
randyf wrote:I would like to see the results of a "water jug" test using some 350 gr. soft points...........anybody game ??

Randy, are you referring to a sized down .458 bullet? While they don't represent the ultimate source in bullet selection, I could not find any .452 jacketed soft point bullets weighing 350 grains on Midway,

Hoot

Yes, I resized some of these down to 452.......

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/633227 ... -box-of-50
randyf

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Check your boots... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Enjoy! :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpIsd9IIAw

Way Cool Robin!!!
Both during and the post production work it took to make that video.

Could you post a still picture of the case heads. I want to feel envious, because with my chamber, at those velocities, I'm usually rewarded with ejector and extractor imprinting. :roll:

Hoot

Hoot, I again say, take the plunge and start upping your load, you have way more than enough experience necessary, to do this right/safely. I Have often seen your predicament and it is usually caused by not having enough chamber grip, with the fired cartridge, in the chamber, at ignition. Whenever I have seen your observations, they always went away, when the pressures were sufficiently high enough for the case to completely seal and to properly grab the chamber walls. What I believe is happening, is because your case isn't really grabbing the chamber walls, very much, or at least not tightly enough, you are getting premature bolt-thrust signatures. Which most of the signs disappear, when the pressures start coming up. Of course this is the trick, speaking to you newer reloaders, the trick being to bring up the pressures, but to do it safely, if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about, don't do this suggestion, Hoot here, is No Chechaquo and has been around the Horn so many times, he has his own parking space at the bottom of the Horn, got it?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 am

The TKO is as follows:
A Taylor KO Value of 37 with a bullet that weighs 230 grains, a velocity of 2521, and a diameter of .451.

I took a good look at my cases from the Hornady 230 FP and the only sign was on five of the six cases. Sign was just a slight little ejector circle imprint. Extractor engagement part of the rims looks fine on all six and no extractor type pressure signatures were noted. 
Case heads measured about like the Mag Techs, averaging .497- .498. 
The one case that did not have any pressure signatures just happened to be the longest case of the bunch. (1.690). The other five averaged 1.682-1.684. 
1.682"- .498"
1.684"- .4975"
1.683"- .497"
1.684"- .498"
1.682"- .498"
*1.691- .497". (*= shot fired at plate).
After firing, the side crimps were hardly even visible. 
That little line on #2 in this picture caught my attention so I went back and looked closely at that. I took a magnifying glass and a dental tool. It is not a crack, just a streak of carbon.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jamesgang » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Are we needing the extreme crimp in order to build enough pressure? I'm only using the taper crimp sent with the set, but I'm also not running my charges up that hot. I've only tested the polymer tipped Hornady's and some 165g magtech and 300gr XTP's with success.

I guess your next step is to bump it up a 1/16th and try for 1/2"?
jamesgang

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Pictures are up.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b