anybody tried the magtech 230gr (.452)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

anybody tried the magtech 230gr (.452)

Postby hawcer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

Hello, I'm new here and waiting for my bushy 450 upper to arrive. In the meantime I have been looking for reloading supplies so I'm set and ready to go.

Has anyone tried the Magtech 230gr fmj bullets in the 450? I am thinking the jackets may be to thin, that is why they are .452" instead of .451" as compared to most 45acp bullets....but so are some of the XTP's.

I have yet to see a picture of the barrel extension to see what kind of feed ramp is used....so I kinda kow what Iam limited to using.(I did read on here about xtp's work, but are nosing a bit)

As with everything else I shoot , I like to have loads for plinking and loads for when it really matters.

Thanks
hawcer

Re: anybody tried the magtech 230gr (.452)

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

hawcer wrote:I have yet to see a picture of the barrel extension to see what kind of feed ramp is used....so I kinda kow what Iam limited to using.(I did read on here about xtp's work, but are nosing a bit)

As with everything else I shoot , I like to have loads for plinking and loads for when it really matters.

Thanks

I'll try to get a pic up today of the feed ramp, unless someone else beats me to it. Welcome aboard! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:04 pm

The Magtech's have been used and with satisfactory results by several members. Locally, the biggest problem is finding them. My local reloading shop guy said he's been trying unsuccessfully for quite some time. I saw one bag on the back of a shelf up at the local Cabelas and should have scarfed them when I was there. For sure, the next time I go there, if they're still there I'll pick them up.

FWIW, the 225 gr FTX bullets only cost a few cents more per round than the Magtechs. I've switched to using them pretty much for all my load experiments. They come out to about $.27 a bullet as opposed to the Magtechs at $.22. I have a couple of good load recipes for the 225s and by that I mean they shoot groups like this at 100 yards all day if I can manage to do my part and the wind cooperates:

I like to experiment and for sure will do a workup thread on the Magtechs when I get some.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby hawcer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Nice group Hoot! Thanks for the advice...and the 225's are on sale at midway too.

I am also looking into some swaging dies from CH4D...so I can swag my own using 40cal brass. I have a friend that makes his own 45acp out of 40cal brass...but they mic out to .451". I have the old wheels a turnin! ;)
hawcer

Return to Reloading for the 450b