Bullet swaging for the 450b --CHEAP!--

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Bullet swaging for the 450b --CHEAP!--

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:08 am

hawcer-
Your efforts and time spent in making the videos is really appreciated, and your ingenuity is developing the techniques is wonderful

A couple of questions:

1) Was the press used in forming the nose a normal RCBS Rockchucker?

2) I was following along right up until almost the end, saying to myself "Hey, I could do that." But I missed the explanation of the tools used to swage the bullet to correct diameter. What kind of die did you use for that operation? I noted the press was a turret type. Could the operation have been done in the single-stage press you used to form the nose?

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby hawcer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 am

Yes..the press I used to swag with is a standard RCBS rock chucker II. I was using a Lee .452" bullets sizer. I had it mounted in my T-mag press along with the rest of my 45acp reloading dies....But it can be used in any press.

Just remember...You saw it hear first! ;)

These could also be used in a S&W 460, and maybe use them in a 45lc or 454 casull...they may have to be sized down again to .451"...but I'm not sure.

A couple more thoughts...

The length of the bullet can be adjusted by changing the length of the trimmed down case and adjusting the FL sizing die.This will also affect bullet weight.

If you want to maintain bullet length but want a heavier bullet...Try a 45acp case...it has thinner case walls and more volume to fill with lead. So it will be heavier.I got almost a 10gr difference between 44mag cases and trimmed down 308 cases.
hawcer

Postby Colohunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for putting the videos up, very informative.
Colohunter

Postby oldmanjeffers » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Hawcer

Your 40 brass is on it's way

Thanks again
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm

"Even the blind pig find a truffle every so often"

Did it occur to anyone to measure the total through-bore of the Hornady taper crimp die?

I measured mine and couldn't believe my eyes, so I squashed a Berry's 230 TMJ to .466 diameter, lubed it, pushed it all the way through the Hornady taper crimp die and got a .452 bullet for my trouble. Polished the inside of the die slightly with some flitz on a 20ga mop and it was effortless. Admittedly, the Berry is softer than a real copper jacketed bullet, but it may offer a hidden benefit. Limber up those calipers guys and see what yours measures.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby hawcer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Hoot, does that taper crimp die come with hornadys 450 ,4 die set?
hawcer

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 am

hawcer wrote:Hoot, does that taper crimp die come with hornadys 450 ,4 die set?

Yep
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thebrassnuckles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 am

so. what you are sayin is.. I am sitting on a .452 bullet sizer die? what dis you use to push the bullet up into the die?
thebrassnuckles

Postby hawcer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:33 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:so. what you are sayin is.. I am sitting on a .452 bullet sizer die? what dis you use to push the bullet up into the die?

You could use the ram punch from a Lee 45 caliber bullet sizing kit or you could prolly get away with soldering a piece of steel rod into a trimmed down 44 mag/special case or other caliber like .40, maybe 45acp or a trimmed down rifle case...as long as it is smaller than the bullet you are sizing ,but not too small...you want to at least cover 75-80% of the bullets base. Using a used case would allow the use of a shell holder...but you could also use a solid rod or modified bolt as long as it doesn't float around too much on the press ram or get cocked while pushing the bullet through.
hawcer

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:so. what you are sayin is.. I am sitting on a .452 bullet sizer die? what dis you use to push the bullet up into the die?

That was what mine worked out to. Looking down in the top of the taper crimp die, the last inch or so didn't look like it was intended to be a sizing die, given the tooling marks, but it cleaned up nicely with the flitz on the mop. By the time the bullet passes by that part, it's already squeezed down to size. I didn't have a punch for the purpose, but I did have a surplus of #2 shell holders and tack welded a piece of 3/8 steel rod to one, then squared and deburred the end of the rod and was good to go. It was a spur of the moment creation and if I pursue this whole roll-your-own bullet process, I'll buy the proper punch.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b