284 vs 450b Case ID Comparison

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

284 vs 450b Case ID Comparison

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 am

I thought this data would benefit those considering substituting cut-down .284 Winchester brass for Hornady 450b brass. It is accepted knowledge that the wall thickness is different and accounts for extra preparation to use .284 brass.

I took my single virgin Hornady case, resized it with the Hornady 450B decapping die and measured the ID in .025 steps going in from the mouth. I took a once fired .284 case, resized it, cleaned it in my ultrasonic cleaner with the vinnegar/water/detergent mix from 6mmbr.com removing any deposits from inside and measured it the same way.

For my measuring device, I coated the inside jaw edge of my caliper with layout ink and scribed .025" increments with a second caliper like this:

What follows is my measurements, both numerically and in graph form. Draw from it as you wish in determining how you prepare your .284 brass.

The odd crossover that occurs at 1.2 inches length and all reading in further than that are compromise values. I discovered that due to the shape of the caliper jaws that after I passed an insertion point where the knife edge that measurements are based upon, it could not touch due to the combined thickness of the jaws hitting the case mouth. It makes it in a bit further without being conflicted on the 450b case due to the thinner wall at the mouth. So as long as you are only interested in seating bullets less than ~.45 inches depth, the measurements are useful.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 284 vs 450b Case ID Comparison

Postby bushmeister » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 pm

pink is the 284? edit... yep, I just saw the numbers on the left.
bushmeister

Re: 284 vs 450b Case ID Comparison

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:18 am

I forgot to mention that when both of my .284 brass lots were new, after trimming them to length and resizing them, they were the same .437 ID from the mouth to as far as I could insert my caliper. I think I posted that somewhere earlier.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b