Ready to start reloading

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Ready to start reloading

Postby ebg3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 pm

My dies and bullets are in, I ordered 50 pieces of brass and I can't wait to start reloading for this round. I'm going to try the XTP 240gr mag to start with and probably use ww296 because I have 4 lbs of it. I will post any results.
Eddie
ebg3

Re: Ready to start reloading

Postby hawcer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Cool, let us know how it goes. I just got my die set too...but I have to shoot some factory rounds up before I can stat reloading. I was thinking to myself...I can get 50 brass cases for about $45.00 or 40 cartridges for around $50.00... I went with the ammo. ;)
hawcer

Postby ebg3 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:25 am

I know what you mean. I bought two boxes of factory ammo mainly for the brass, but I did break down and order 50 pieces of new brass from midway. For now, I'll use my factory ammo brass to try loads and save the new brass for when I get it all figured out. :P
ebg3

Postby ebg3 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Put together a few rounds this morning...I tried the XTP 240gr mag bullet with WW-296, CCI SRP and once fired brass. I seated all to 2.06" which put the case mouth just below the top of the cannalure(sp?) and taper crimped to .475-6". I tried 5 each at 40grs, 40.5grs and 41grs. The 40gr load went OK, I was trying to get on paper so I did not get a group. The 4th round at 40.5grs hit the barrel extention and set the bullet back a little, when I fired it the primer cratered a little and i saw an ejector mark. I fired two of the 41gr loads and both showed ejector marks so I'll pull the remaining three. The last two shots were < 1/2" at 100 yards. I did not have my chrono so I don't know the velocities. I think I'll try seating the bullets to 2.10"-2.15" and load 39gr, 39.5grs and 40grs WW-296 and try this again. Next time I'll chrono and post some velocities.
ebg3

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Can you seat those 240's to 2.250 oal and still have enough bullet in the case to crimp to?..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:23 am

wildcatter wrote:Can you seat those 240's to 2.250 oal and still have enough bullet in the case to crimp to?..t

The nice thing about those gaping-mouthed hollow points is at 2.06, they're not too far off the lands. If you seated them to 2.25, I suspect be stuck into the lands with them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ebg3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 am

I did not check length to lands with this bullet but will when I load again. The round hitting the barrel extention bothers me. It was second to last round in the busmaster mag and when I cleared it and tried it again it hit the ext. once more. I'll check OAL and set it .015-.030" off (if I can) and watch the feeding.
ebg3

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 am

On my rig, the 225 FTX, which isn't as stumpy as the 240 XTP hit lands at 2.33. That's 2.33 measured at the tip of the ballistic tip insert. I can check the 240 XTP with my lock-n-load comparator when I get home from work if you'd like.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:32 am

HOOT, FYI.. just so ya noze.. The chamber is freebored .200". I did this for two reasons. One, was that it would accommodate any bullet profile and two, which is more important, to lower pressures. So, the only limiting factors are, magazine interior length (usually not more than 2.260" +-) and whether the bullet is in the case far enough to grab it properly and some of my loads are only in the case 3/16", so the cannelure position, is of no importance to me. See, personally, I worry about the Power Factor more than accuracy, just so long as the accuracy is more than adequate. Where as you seem to be more involved in the accuracy department, accepting the power as more than adequate as it is now. Neither one of us is wrong and only wacked-out guys like me could ever think more power is needed, from what our factory rounds give us now, but we both want ZR1 Corvettes, we're just coming at the equation from different view points..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 am

wildcatter wrote:HOOT, FYI.. just so ya noze.. The chamber is freebored .200". I did this for two reasons. One, was that it would accommodate any bullet profile and two, which is more important, to lower pressures. So, the only limiting factors are, magazine interior length (usually not more than 2.260" +-) and whether the bullet is in the case far enough to grab it properly and some of my loads are only in the case 3/16", so the cannelure position, is of no importance to me. See, personally, I worry about the Power Factor more than accuracy, just so long as the accuracy is more than adequate. Where as you seem to be more involved in the accuracy department, accepting the power as more than adequate as it is now. Neither one of us is wrong and only wacked-out guys like me could ever think more power is needed, from what our factory rounds give us now, but we both want ZR1 Corvettes, we're just coming at the equation from different view points..t

That jives with my experience with the more slender snouted 200 and 250 FTX bullets. They hit lands at 2.45 OAL. That's why I like the 225 FTX for accuracy. They get fatter much quicker than the other two, so less jump. You can see it in the groups. I would think that with only .188 seating depth, it would be hard to keep "the horse in the barn" when the round slams into the chamber. Even with a weighted bolt carrier. I got nothing against power, other than not needing it for CXP2 game that I intend to eat and I can certainly relate to wanting as much as possible with dangerous game or thick skinned critters. One day, if I hit the Lotto, it would be swell to go after more big game than Minnesota has to offer. Right now, I'm working on the 200 FTX with filler to deliver 2,150-2,350 ft/lbs of energy. Plenty good for even the toughest White tail, while being controllable in the off chance that a follow-up shot is needed.

I look forward to when you get your pressure measurement rig up and running.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b