Taller gas checks for cast boolits

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Taller gas checks for cast boolits

Postby BD1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Well, the custom checkmaker die from Patmarlin arrived on Monday, and today I had a chance to make a couple hundred. They're not perfect, but they are taller.
I'll keep you posted. The pictures show a 290 grain ranch dog and a 230 grain BD45acp with the tall checks along side a .450BD290 with a standard check for comparison and a pic of the taller check, an aluminum tall check and a standard check for comparison.
BD
Attachments
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG (94.9 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG (61.12 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Taller gas checks for cast boolits

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Awe-Right!!! I can't wait to read about your results!..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Taller gas checks for cast boolits

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Good Lord, you mean it finally came?! You are one patient man BD1. I seem to recall when I first ordered my upper in March of 2010, you were trying to get a set of dies for making those. Are you going to need to get some heavier gauge disks, so that they aren't stretched too thin at the ends?

I have a roll of 6 or 8 inch wide copper sheet from a PolyPhaser Bulkhead Lightning Suppression Panel around here somewhere. It's 24ga and fairly hard compared to soft copper. I don't know if your dies came with a punch as well, or if that's work better left to a machine designed for rapid production. It would be a lot of work to pop them out with a Whitney punch. You have done me and I'm sure others here a lot of good and I could send you some to try out if you want.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b