Finally!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Finally!

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:15 am

Ok, So any adjusting done on the taper crimp die is only to adjust the strength of the crimp, correct?

adjustments to the seat depth are done with the seating die, correct?

if i were to change what bullet I was loading, say from 275gr xpb to 240gr xtp all I would need to do is make sure the cannelure of each bullet is in the correct location for the crimp to grab onto, using only the seating die for this adjustment. correct?

if so, all i need to do to change loads is to adjust the seat depth.. all other are constant.
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:Ok, So any adjusting done on the taper crimp die is only to adjust the strength of the crimp, correct?

adjustments to the seat depth are done with the seating die, correct?

if i were to change what bullet I was loading, say from 275gr xpb to 240gr xtp all I would need to do is make sure the cannelure of each bullet is in the correct location for the crimp to grab onto, using only the seating die for this adjustment. correct?

if so, all i need to do to change loads is to adjust the seat depth.. all other are constant.

That pretty much sums it up, but it's like saying to go left or right, turn the steering wheel. To go forward press the gas. To stop, press the brake. "Now I understand how to drive." Don't take that in a bad way. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there is more to reloading than just the mechanics of the equipment. I don't want Eric to have an anxiety attack. ;)

Some of the nuance of reloading is more important with other calibers, but I personally feel we are challenged with this particular cartridge design in ways that emphasize a few settings and de-emphasize many of the more esoteric ones with more sophisticated cartridges.

As you adjust the taper crimp die downward, stop and measure that mouth edge OD frequently and when I say measure, I mean not too far down the cartridge. It's the very edge of the mouth that engages the lip of the chamber and that die is as it's name implies a Taper crimp. Even .001 inches down the case will be wider than right at the edge. The way I do it is set my micrometer to .475 and lock it. I then position the crimped case mouth on the sharp edges of the micrometer and see if it can drop through, even the slightest bit. If it does, I don't go narrower on the crimp. If it doesn't, I advance the die a fraction of a turn and recrimp until that mouth edge just barely passes between the micrometer jaws. Do not check the diameter by placing the case in between the jaws and tightening the micrometer until it stops. It's too hard to maintain the insertion depth of the case in those jaws to only measure the very edge of the mouth, not farther down the case. If you don't have a micrometer, a caliper will have to do. Same procedure.

I have not slugged my chamber to see exactly where the lip measures out, but I determined a long time ago that .475 solidly engages the lip. I'm sure is varies from barrel to barrel and is less than .475, but unless you custom tune your cartridge to you chamber, you'll never know. All that leads up to this caveat. Always Thunk test your first load to make sure it's safe in your chamber. If that Thunk is not a distinct engagement, your case mouth may be too narrow for your chamber lip. Too wide only matters when it's wider than .480. You won't be able to get it in the chamber far enough to lock the lugs and chances are, if the mouth is that wide, you'll be hanging up at other points along the case which are diameter sensitive as well WRT the chamber dimensions.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:40 am

I have been taper crimping each round, and after I crimp I measure the lips of the cartridge, I made sure they were all .475-.476..

I shot all the loads on sunday, there was about a 15mph full value wind, but aside from a couple of fliers the groups were right around 2" I only went up to 32 gr lil gun so I am going to keep going north on the powder side until I reach what groups the best and then see what different primers do for the grouping.

I try to ensure that there is as little variance in every step of the reloading process, ie same force seating the primer so as to not overstress the primer pellet, same powder weight, (i need to get a little better on that one as I had quite a bit of variance in velocity in each group.. like 100 fps spread) same seat depth and same crimp diameter.

I measure each step with a caliper that is accurate to half a thousandth.. although it is digital it has been extremely consistent.

I did not do a thunk test on this particular load but I had made a dummy round a while back with a crimp diameter of .475 and it thunked pretty well.

I will post pics of groups... when I get around to it.. :roll:

I have to crank out a bunch of 45ACP for a handgun class I have this week so that may keep me busy for a couple of days.

some side notes/observations:

... I want a powder trickler, it would prevent me from having to start all over when I accidentally bump the powder spoon too hard and dump a few extra grains in there..

and powder scales are touchy :D
thebrassnuckles

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b