New TSMZ Bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

New TSMZ Bullets

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:22 pm

In the December edition of Petersens "Hunting" magazine - page 36; Dynamic Research Technology has developed a new .451 muzzel loader bullet they call the TSMZ. Most of their other bullets are designed to fragment completely, but they say this is not the case with the new TSMZ bullet.

Apparently they can compress the core materials to program predictable fragmentation for multiple wound channels and a programed predictable penetration of 14 - 16 inches for these sub-particles, but the bottom third of the core exits the animal completely. According to them, the animal absorbes nearly every foot pound of energy from the shot.

Here is their website:

http://drtammo.com/featured-products/tsmz/

Not being a reloader, I don't have answers to your questions, but I am interested in the answers you do find.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: New TSMZ Bullets

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 am

BillytheKid wrote:In the December edition of Petersens "Hunting" magazine - page 36; Dynamic Research Technology has developed a new .451 muzzel loader bullet they call the TSMZ. Most of their other bullets are designed to fragment completely, but they say this is not the case with the new TSMZ bullet.

Apparently they can compress the core materials to program predictable fragmentation for multiple wound channels and a programed predictable penetration of 14 - 16 inches for these sub-particles, but the bottom third of the core exits the animal completely. According to them, the animal absorbes nearly every foot pound of energy from the shot.

Here is their website:

Not being a reloader, I don't have answers to your questions, but I am interested in the answers you do find.

Bill

Hummm, A $1.25 ea. they better work well.

Bill, as an after thought, keep this in mind. We have so much residual Over-Power, that even the cheap bullets shoot sub MOA and kill like a banshee, to boot. 230Ball @ $.15-$.25ea.

I love those trick bullets and use them and all choices have a trade-offs, we just happen to have fewer of them, then the sub calibers are prone to experience.

Horse Power, together with Accuracy, trump all other ill effects..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 am

wildcatter wrote:Hummm, A $1.25 ea. they better work well.

Bill, as an after thought, keep this in mind. We have so much residual Over-Power, that even the cheap bullets shoot sub MOA and kill like a banshee, to boot. 230Ball @ $.15-$.25ea.

I love those trick bullets and use them and all choices have a trade-offs, we just happen to have fewer of them, then the sub calibers are prone to experience.

..t

I agree with you, especially about the cost. I was just excited to see something new what might potentially help our cartridge in some way.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:22 am

wildcatter wrote:
BillytheKid wrote:In the December edition of Petersens "Hunting" magazine - page 36; Dynamic Research Technology has developed a new .451 muzzel loader bullet they call the TSMZ. Most of their other bullets are designed to fragment completely, but they say this is not the case with the new TSMZ bullet.

Here is their website:

Bill

Hummm, A $1.25 ea. they better work well.

..t

I like horsepower. Speed is nice, yes. But when the business to be done is happening at the speed of sound, Horsepower is my addiction.
A .308 200 Grain bullet travelling at 2400 FPS at 200 yards
A .452 230 Grain bullet travelling at 2200 FPS at 200 yards
When they "Knock on the door", The big boy is likely going to be the better performer, IMPO.
I can't prove it, but I bet someone has the formula.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:37 am

2200 fps at 200 yards! Dawg, have you been putting too much of that Tex-Mex chili powder in your bullets again?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 am

BayouBob wrote:2200 fps at 200 yards! Dawg, have you been putting too much of that Tex-Mex chili powder in your bullets again?

I let Speedy Gonzalez spit on them 230 grains. I'm getting 2500 out of them at the muzzle but I need to crunch the data which I haven't done yet, on ballistics.
I'm going to be in school all week, but I'll get around to it.
Dang..... Pushing fifty years old and I'm STILL going to school one to three weeks a year!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am

230 grain RN would be doing a little of 1600 fps at 200 yards. Go to the Hornady site and they have a ballistics program that you can use free. You need to know the ballistic coefficient for the bullets and they generally have that listed in the details section of the individual bullet.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am

Siringo wrote:230 grain RN would be doing a little of 1600 fps at 200 yards. Go to the Hornady site and they have a ballistics program that you can use free. You need to know the ballistic coefficient for the bullets and they generally have that listed in the details section of the individual bullet.

True on the 1600fps+-, but when you do the Taylor Index (a fairly accurate method of predicting how well the kill is going to be) to these two, the 230's absolutely blows the 308/200gr out of the water..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 45r » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 am

When barnes comes out with some of the stuff thats available in shotguns and muzzleloaders it will make the 450 even more devestating.The 250 and 290 grain tipped bullets are awesome in muzzleloaders.
45r

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:57 pm

The Mag Tech .452 230 Grain FMJ has a BC of .162
My ballistic calc says
1560 +- FPS
And 1247 FtLbs energy with a 7" drop
When zeroed @100Yds.
I stand corrected.
Sort of.
But Wildcatter vindicated my main point.
Thanx Bro!

Side note.... I'm gonna have to get a partial refund from Speedy Gonzalez. He guarannteed @ least 2000.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b