HELP..Is Lil-Gun Bad??

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: HELP..Is Lil-Gun Bad??

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 pm

We try to keep things clean here. These guys are the best bunch guys you could ever meet. Yeah, we get mad and yeah it's a constant struggle, but they always manage to be on their best behavior. Even when discussing obummer. Some guys use lovely metaphors and tongue in cheek analogies, but we manage to say what we think by keeping things PG. Persoanlly, having grown up a Louisiana boy, my French can, at times, be paint stripper. For those of you who have had to experience it, I apologize. But talking about politics these days brings up passions that are difficult to throttle.
Welcome to the Board! I gotta go cuz my rat terrier is telling me there's a opossum in the yard.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Handgunner wrote:Hello all
Wildcatter I liked your talk about language. I wrote on a forum about the language that was being used. I had purchased a Leupold VXR Zombie scope. I like it, it is a Leupold with a cool reticle. I may never get a chance to shoot Zombies (hope not) but it will make a great deer scope at the range I have from my blind.
Anyway every other word was the F word about how stupid this scope was. I wrote that I did not see any reason for the vulgar words. Boy did I get slammed from some of the people who used it. Don't get me wrong I unfortunately use that word sometimes but certainly not on a forum that discusses likes and dislikes about some product someone purchased..
I too have a Bushy upper, have not shot it yet. I left a message earlier today about using my Colt lower with it..
I have used Lil Gun since it came out. Use it in my 454 Freedom arms, Ruger 44 and 45 Bisley Vaquero,460 Smith and TC, and 500 Smith. I like it.
When I was younger back in the 70's-80's I used 2400 in my Smith and Ruger 44's. I felt it was a dirty powder, always has unburned powder left in the bore and cylinders. Also Lil Gun,H100,296 all meter much better and more accurate in the powder measure,since they are a ball or spherical powder.
Handgunner

Way to go handgunner and thanks for your comments about language. It's a topic we have to review, from time to time. This is a respectful site and is visited by the "Major's" regularly and they even contribute on occasion. They tell me if we ever cross the line and become like so many other sites, that they'd just write us off. Indeed, only because of the decency of these guys, I stay here. We are self policing and will correct improper use of the vernacular, respectfully..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm

OK, getting back on topic, I hope.

I have reloaded exclusively with Lil Gun for the BM450, but I am down to my last pound and can't find it locally (Houston area). Has anyone had any experience with the alternatives listed in the Hornady Reloading Handbook for the 250 gr bullet: A No. 9, Enforcer, Win 296, H110 or IMR 4227?

Are there any other powders that have been successful?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Nosparks » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the alternatives listed in the Hornady Reloading Handbook for the 250 gr bullet: A No. 9, Enforcer, Win 296, H110 or IMR 4227?

I have reloaded with Win296, IMR4227 and lil gun. Win296 in my humble opinion and experience, is second to lil gun with velocities and groupings very similar. IMR4227 has much lower velocities and groupings acceptable for hunting. 4227 (which I have no problems with) is not the go to powder for the bench rest guys, but for hunting it will still knock down anything you come across. From what I have researched, it seems H110 is right there with W296, I have no knowledge with #9 or Enforcer.

I had no pressure signs or issues with 4227 33.6gr- 37gr, 250 FTX, CCI primers. I was able to obtain 1" groupings.
Win296 33.8gr-40.5gr, Rem 7 1/2, 225 gr Mid way blems(I know that's not a 250 FTX), I was able to obtain sub 1" groups
LIl gun 38.5gr, Rem 7 1/2, 250FTX. Well lets say I will never run out of Lil gun!

I followed the Hornady book, I don't believe I strayed from it while I tested those 3 powders in my gun.
Nosparks

Postby MarkCO » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:58 am

I tried some Enforcer. Not bad at all, but I still preferred Lil Gun.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:OK, getting back on topic, I hope.

I have reloaded exclusively with Lil Gun for the BM450, but I am down to my last pound and can't find it locally (Houston area). Has anyone had any experience with the alternatives listed in the Hornady Reloading Handbook for the 250 gr bullet: A No. 9, Enforcer, Win 296, H110 or IMR 4227?

Are there any other powders that have been successful?

Try these guys.
http://www.grafs.com/
It DOES take three-four weeks to ship supplies. But if they have it.... They have it. I ordered a 3Lb keg of LilGun from them this spring. It showed in stock with two on hand then. I placed the order and sure enough in about four weeks there was the Fed Ex guy knocking on my door itching to get that striped labeled box out of his truck. LOL.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Sign of the times I guess. Of 67 Hodgdon powders Graf & Sons carry, 65 (including Lil Gun) are out of stock. Also out of stock, 22 of 24 Winchester products (including 296), 39 of 40 IMR products (including 4227), 39 of 43 Accurate products (including A No. 9), and all 21 Ramshot products.

But thanks for the source. They are on my list!
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Jim;
Things are not so tight up this way. I'll put out some feelers for you.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 am

Hoot wrote:Jim;
Things are not so tight up this way. I'll put out some feelers for you.
Hoot

Many thanks. Bass Pro and Carter Country here in Houston both out, as well.
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Jim, surprisingly, I could not find any stores up here with LilGun that are willing to ship. Folks in Iowa and Nebraska have reported seeing it recently in stores there, so perhaps another run is shipping. Make those calls again to the local shops.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b