Cast bullet updates

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Cast bullet updates

Postby Siringo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm

OK all -- any luck with taller gas checks? Anything new??
Siringo

Re: Cast bullet updates

Postby BD1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm still waiting for my checkmaker from Pat Marlin. I'll let you know when it gets here.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey BD, I'm very interested in this work you're doing. Are you going to be able to adjust their width. If true, you might want to standardize with something larger than .125", which is the largest gas port I use, for a .45 caliber, and of course you want a check larger than the port, right? Are you going to be able to use the samey-same bullet, with the std check and your wider version, for actual comparison?

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 am

I won't know for sure until I get the checkmaker. I think it works in two parts, the first cuts a disk out of a strip of copper, the second forms it into the check. What I ordered is a check maker for putting checks onto plain base designs, so the check is both slightly bigger, and taller. Pat claims it's .1 tall. My hope is that I can size it onto a gas check shank design and wind up with a check that's even taller. I'm also thing that if you ran a larger diameter disk into a standard check making die, it would have to result in the taller finished check. Right now Pat is filling orders from the smaller calibers up, I think he's finished the .30s
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:55 pm

BD1 wrote:I won't know for sure until I get the checkmaker. I think it works in two parts, the first cuts a disk out of a strip of copper, the second forms it into the check. What I ordered is a check maker for putting checks onto plain base designs, so the check is both slightly bigger, and taller. Pat claims it's .1 tall. My hope is that I can size it onto a gas check shank design and wind up with a check that's even taller. I'm also thing that if you ran a larger diameter disk into a standard check making die, it would have to result in the taller finished check. Right now Pat is filling orders from the smaller calibers up, I think he's finished the .30s
BD

I'm betting your right..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b