Are these the same as what is loaded in factory cartridges?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Are these the same as what is loaded in factory cartridges?

Postby hawcer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am

I was at a local farm type store...In the sporting goods section I noticed these muzzle loader sabot bullets...I used to use the xtp type before, but now they look like ftx's.

Are these the same 250 grain bullets in the factory Hornady 450 ammo? If so...I'll have my eagle eye on them when the season close-outs go on clearance.

These little humdingers made by Traditions could also come in handy.

I'd also like to see what the Barnes 250gr TMZ polymer tipped boat tail bullet measures out to...
hawcer

Re: Are these the same as what is loaded in factory cartridges?

Postby Siringo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Yes they are. Most of the MZ 50 caliber projectiles (sabots) are .452". But you should make sure first. Go to the respective Websites. Note that Barnes bullets are .4505". They are not grooved and foul the bore badly with copper (MZ bullets only). I tried them and they were not acceptable for me to use.

There are some really "pointed" bullets available. I've wanted to try some, but never seen any at the sporting goods shops. Most if not all are either Hornady, Barnes or the belted variety.

Google up "Randy Wakeman" and you find a host of sites to go to regarding muzzle load bullets -- which essentially what the 450 Bushmaster is built around. These MZ guys shoot a lot of deer with a variety of 45 caliber bullets (everyone has their favorite) and are using the same bullets we do, at the same velocities for the most part.

Most trend towards the 250 grain spiter type because it gives them 200 yards versus the heavy bullets. Something to note -- you see no mention of heavier 45 caliber bullets -- 350's. 400's, ect. Food for thought.
Siringo

Re: Are these the same as what is loaded in factory cartridges?

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:47 pm

That Traditions bullet is made by Parker I believe. They are thin jacketed, sleek and accurate as all get out in my ML's.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b