Sig Mosquito

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Sig Mosquito

Postby thatguy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Anybody have recent first hand experience with the Sig Mosquito? I found a dealer today that has then NIB for $269 and that sounds like a good deal..

From the research I have done, the earlier version had some problems with FTF/FTE, but it appears that the newer models are more reliable.. It does seem you need to run 'hotter' ammo for at least first 500 to 1,000 shots (CCI Mini mag or something hotter) to make it cycle best..

I am also doing research at arfcom and the sig forums.

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Sig Mosquito

Postby EmGeZe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:01 pm

I've got several .22 auto pistols, and the Sig Sauer Mosquito is both the most tempermental, and one of the nicest guns to shoot! Sig provides two recoil springs. The stronger intended for 'High Power loads" whereas the lighter for more 'Standard velocity loads." The stronger is basically useless as no matter what ammo you put through the gun it will shortcycle 2-3 times per magazine load. It's a REAL PAIN. With the lighter recoil spring in place it works well with high powered loads such as CCI MiniMags, and only so-so with anything lighter.

So, I mainly stick with MiniMags and have a ball shooting it. It 'fits' my hand very well, and has well-placed controls. When I want to do 'serious plinking' I grab the Mosquito...but, if I want a handy trail-gun that works ALL-THE-TIME, I grab my Walther P22 - It isn't as 'nice' to shoot - BUT it always shoots [NOT so with the Sig].
EmGeZe

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 pm

I was thinking the the same question right before I go laid off. I was debating between the Sig and the Walther but for some reason was leaning towards the Sig. I have also heard the same thing about it being temperamental with ammo, but what .22lr isn't. CCI mini mags work well in all my .22's but I have recently switched over to the Aguila supermax's. The supermax's shoot a whole lot flatter being they are over 1700fps, but the CCI's are a little more consistent. I wonder how the Aguila's fare in the Sig. By the way, welcome aboard EmGeZe! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby BayouBob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I picked up a Mosquito to look at the first day it was on the shelf at Academy and it felt so good I couldn't put it down. It is tempremental. I sent it back to Sig and they had it back to me in less than a week. It is still hard to predict. Sometimes it shoots fine and sometimes it fails to eject or fails to fire. With a perfectly clean chamber it will shoot maybe a mag or two and then sometimes it will jam on the second shot. It is the best feeling 22 auto pistol I've ever owned but like EmGeZe I carry my P22 in the woods because it always shoots. (With amazing accuracy for a compact pistol.)
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Well it looks like the walther wins. Sig makes such good guns I naturally leaned that way. After your guys input and some additional investigation I am sold on the Walther. Hopefully there is one in my stocking this Christmas! Thanks again fellas! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby oldmanjeffers » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 pm

This may be hard to believe but a guy at the range who he and his family all shoot the Sig mosquito were having issues with ammo 'till I gave them a box of Blazer ammo, Sense then thats all he runs in them and he's been the happiest so far with that ammo. For plinking that's all I use, it works perfectly in all my auto loading .22's Including the S&W .22 a2. IMO the S&W is a better handgun then both the Sig and the Walther And it's got a full length 1913 rail on top! And it's about $40-$60 cheaper then the sig.

The S&W is a bit bigger then the Sig and the Walther but I personally like the feel of the S&W, Feels more like a target pistol.

No squirrel is safe when I have that S&W with me.

Thats just my take guys, ALL are fine weapons, But do give that cheep-o blazer ammo a try, You might be surprised!
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby thatguy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:45 am

thanks for the feedback.. After also reading a lot of online reviews and tips/hints on making it run better, I have decided not to buy the mosquito.. I would really like a semi-auto pistol, and i really like Sigs, I dont think I feel like tweaking the mosquito so it will run 'most' of the time.. lol

thanks

b
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby xxInfidelxx » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 am

No experience with shooting a Mosquito myself, but I watched 2 guys at the range shooting .22 targets in friendly competition. One guy had a Mosquito the other had a Ruger. May have been the ammo because they were both having issues. I have heard Sig .22's are picky about what they eat. I just got a new p220 .45 and plan on getting the .22 conversion kit to go with it. A lot of people say the mini mags work best.
xxInfidelxx

Postby thatguy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I ended up buying a Sig P229 22 Classic.. So far not a single FTF/FTE with it.. I want to get a 9mm x-change conversion for it sometime soon..

brian
thatguy

Return to Firearms