What would you offer for a P229

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

What would you offer for a P229

Postby thatguy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:41 pm

I found a used Sig p229 in .40 online for sale (it includes a few magazine AND the sig .22 conversion).. They are asking $700 but said to make an offer..

I was considering buying a P229 .22 classic (looks like pricing is around $500ish online +shipping + my ffl fees), but this seems like a much better deal for both since it would be another $340 for a .40/357/9mm conversion kit..

What would be a good, non insulting offer? Obviously I would love a great deal.. lol

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: What would you offer for a P229

Postby oldmanjeffers » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I do a lot of wheeling and dealing, The biggest thing to me is the worst they could say is no. Had I ran across this deal and was offered to make an offer I'd start out with " I don't mean to offend you Sir/Ma'am but would you take $580.00 Cash right now"? IMO that leaves a little wiggle room for the seller but not much.

$700 is a great deal "If you like Sig's".

In all my dealings with boats, cars, motorcycles, Guns, ETC I have never been personally offended, I have laughed to my self a few times but always come back with what I'm willing to sell it for bottom line not a penny less. Their is an art to haggling

Tip #1 Don't make an offer you yourself wouldn't accept
Tip #2 Pick a number and stick with it, Start anywhere but go into it with what you WILL PAY and don't go over it.
Tip #3 Don't get caught up in the excitement or whatever, If the seller doesn't want to come down to your price, say "thanks for your time" and walk away. But don't leave the store/Garagesale/what have you, Stick around a browse, 50% of the time they'll think about it while your walking around and decide to make a deal.
Tip #4 Words to live by "seek ye first the good things of the mind and the rest will be provided or it's loss will not be felt"

Best of luck and report back if you would if you do get it
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby thatguy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks for the advise.. I ended up passing on that deal though- a few things in the description just made me leary..

BUT I ended up buying a P229R in .22 today brand new at a gun show.. One deciding factor was the new warranty that was 'for the original buyer'..

Down the road I will get either a 9mm/40/357Sig slide/barrel for it..

edited to add - I got the P229r for $469 - much cheaper than I could get online from all the searching I could find..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Right on!!!

Sounds like you got a good deal.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Return to Firearms