Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm

thatguy wrote:...snip...Is it possible to ream it out to a .223?? any ideas on cost? .222 ammo is out there (even my walmart has 2 boxes on the shelf right now- until i go back in there lol) but I wonder down the road about it...

If you don't know someone with one, you rent a .223 finish reamer for around $36.00 plus shipping. You'll need a .223 go gauge also. There's plenty of how-to tutorials and videos out there.

The only caveat doesn't pertain to to the chamber. It's the rifling in the barrel. Often, a .222 is intended for shorter, lighter bullets up to 55gr and by virtue of that, they often come with a slower twist than a .223. If you try to shoot longer, heavier bullets that a fast twist .223 barrel does well with, they may not stabilize adequately. It's not unusual to find .222 barrels with a 1:14 twist. That's too slow for the longer, heavier bullets. IE, if you intend to shoot surplus XM855 ammo, they may not stabilize as well as XM193.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

Postby tbirdman74 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Hoot wrote:
thatguy wrote:...snip...Is it possible to ream it out to a .223?? any ideas on cost? .222 ammo is out there (even my walmart has 2 boxes on the shelf right now- until i go back in there lol) but I wonder down the road about it...

If you don't know someone with one, you rent a .223 finish reamer for around $36.00 plus shipping. You'll need a .223 go gauge also. There's plenty of how-to tutorials and videos out there.

The only caveat doesn't pertain to to the chamber. It's the rifling in the barrel. Often, a .222 is intended for shorter, lighter bullets up to 55gr and by virtue of that, they often come with a slower twist than a .223. If you try to shoot longer, heavier bullets that a fast twist .223 barrel does well with, they may not stabilize adequately. It's not unusual to find .222 barrels with a 1:14 twist. That's too slow for the longer, heavier bullets. IE, if you intend to shoot surplus XM855 ammo, they may not stabilize as well as XM193.

Hoot

Not to hijack the thread, I have a rem 788 that was 222, that my dad had reamed to 223 back in the early 80's and Hoot is right, anything over 55 gr doesn't group very well. 45-55 gr. it shoots ragged holes at 100. It has the 1 in 14 twist. Doesn't help we had to cut four inches off the end of the barrel... got slammed in a pickup door.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Previous

Return to Firearms