Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

I have my dads Savage 24v (over/under that is .222 over 20 gauge - 3" chamber)

We have some coyotes in our area and i thought it would be a good 'overall' gun for distance and close up, but Id like to put some sort of low power scope or red dot on it (without breaking the bank).. I have looked at some of the Vortex red dots that are 1x (but come with a 2x magnifier) that are in my price range..

Obviously the scope/red dot would need to be able to handle 3" magnum shot shells.. it has a 'weaver' style base on (and I havent found a picitinny rail that would fit it) so the scope would have to be wearver compatible

any thoughts or suggestions

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Scope or red dot for Savage 24v

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:53 pm

thatguy wrote:I have my dads Savage 24v (over/under that is .222 over 20 gauge - 3" chamber)

We have some coyotes in our area and i thought it would be a good 'overall' gun for distance and close up, but Id like to put some sort of low power scope or red dot on it (without breaking the bank).. I have looked at some of the Vortex red dots that are 1x (but come with a 2x magnifier) that are in my price range..

Obviously the scope/red dot would need to be able to handle 3" magnum shot shells.. it has a 'weaver' style base on (and I havent found a picitinny rail that would fit it) so the scope would have to be wearver compatible

any thoughts or suggestions

Brian

That's the rig my dad has for Turkey hunting. When he told me he bought it many years ago, my first remark was to rent a reamer and open it up to .223. ;)

IRC, he has a 1.5-6x44 Bushnell scope on his.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby etijsma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 pm

I have a truglo red dot on a super magnum shotgun and i have had no problems with it. due to the recoil i may have only shot 10 rounds of 3.5" thru it but the rest have been 3", so i would say with a 20 ga you would have no problems.
etijsma

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

etijsma wrote:I have a truglo red dot on a super magnum shotgun and i have had no problems with it. due to the recoil i may have only shot 10 rounds of 3.5" thru it but the rest have been 3", so i would say with a 20 ga you would have no problems.

Which did you red dot did you have? since they have several

I saw a couple truglo that I really like (looks and price) BUT I read some reviews about trying contacting customer service to get repairs/replacement under warranty was horrible.. they would not answer the phone or reply to emails. So much for a lifetime warranty if CS wont tell you how to get a replacement.

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Hoot wrote:
That's the rig my dad has for Turkey hunting. When he told me he bought it many years ago, my first remark was to rent a reamer and open it up to .223. ;)

IRC, he has a 1.5-6x44 Bushnell scope on his.

Hoot

Thats what my dad used this one for mainly.. BUT I deer hunted with it as a kid..

Is it possible to ream it out to a .223?? any ideas on cost? .222 ammo is out there (even my walmart has 2 boxes on the shelf right now- until i go back in there lol) but I wonder down the road about it

a 1.5 - 6 scope would be ideal it seems..
thatguy

Postby etijsma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm

i went out and checked and of course it has nothing on it except "truglo" and "made in china", go figure. i check out thier website and it looks just like the link posted below minus the lens/adj caps.

Edit: the link didnt work but heres the model # TG8030B

http://www.truglo.com
etijsma

Postby BayouBob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm

I have one of the Vortex red dot sights. The 2x magnifier doesn't help much and it is a separate screw on piece so it usually isn't where you want it when you need it. The scope itself doesn't let much light through and it is real disappointing in low light.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby bigboreshooter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

I have a truglo on my 835 it has held up for 6 years now with a box of 3 1/2's a year. It was 30 bucks when I bought it back then. But if u need a weaver base check out some of Weavers new low power illuminated reticle scopes. Or they have a red dot.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby 9x19MdM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

I'd go for a scope mounted with see-thru rings. A scope for the added magnification :ugeek: and the see-thru's for quick target acquisition on the up close and personal shots.
9x19MdM

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I'd go for the std iron sights. You're not likely to use this over 200yds, are you? And prolly under 100yds, would be most likely, I'd think????..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Firearms