Handi rifle

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Handi rifle

Postby dvrod18 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:14 pm

I wish they made the handi rifle in 450 bm. Then I could hunt our primative weapons season with the same ammo. Has anyone converted one?
dvrod18

Re: Handi rifle

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 am

dvrod18 wrote:I wish they made the handi rifle in 450 bm. Then I could hunt our primative weapons season with the same ammo. Has anyone converted one?

Forgive my ignorance of Louisianna hunting rules, but what constitutes a primative weapon as opposed to say a muzzle loader, which we do have a season for up here.

When I think primative, I think spears, bows and arrows, tiger pits, cliffs, y'know, what primative mankind used. Not trolling, just an interesting term to apply to deer hunting and was trying to further my understanding.

We do have some physically fit wahoos up here who run deer down using snow shoes, but it requires a deep snow pack. Something we certainly do not have this year, but usually do.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 am

When I hear primitive, I'm thinking Muzzle loaders and the OLD buffalo rifles sharps and such... Then the bows arrows sharp sticks and guys jumping out of pine trees with Bowie Knives on the backs of some unsuspecting critter. I think the latter would be a good reason to keep the paramedics on your speed dial. Especially in a Louisiana Swamp.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Some states use "primitive" to describe black powder, or single-shot type thunder sticks...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby dvrod18 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 pm

To those who need clarification, I actually hunt in Mississippi. Primitive weapons was once considered bows and black powder, but a few years back the laws changed to allow certain calibers in certain single shot rifles such as he sharps, handi rifle etc. I think the minimum caliber is .35, which allows use of the .35 whelen. Also popular is the .45-70 and .444 marlin. As you know these rounds are compArable to our beloved .450 bm. It's really not all that primitive, but hey I don't make the rules I just play by them. Louisiana does however allow the archer to choose their preferred archery tackle that includes crossbows. Again kinda defeats the whole point. I personally feel these types of rule along with long seasons and high bag limits are the reason we have such a hard time harvesting anything near what would be considered a trophy.
dvrod18

Postby etijsma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:21 am

dvrod18 wrote: Louisiana does however allow the archer to choose their preferred archery tackle that includes crossbows. Again kinda defeats the whole point.

i think this is a good thing, it may get another hunter in the field. isnt that what its about?
etijsma

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 am

etijsma wrote:
dvrod18 wrote: Louisiana does however allow the archer to choose their preferred archery tackle that includes crossbows. Again kinda defeats the whole point.

i think this is a good thing, it may get another hunter in the field. Isn't that what its about?

Any time we can increase the number of hunters, it a good thing. However, not at any cost to the sport. We always need to keep an eye on the difference between hunting and taking game. I don't necessarily mean in this particular topic, but there are a lot of people out there who get so hung up on the ends that they'll use any means to get there. I know too well how difficult it is to come back to work on the Monday after deer season and tell the gang I got skunked. That just means I don't get first choice of the breedable women for a year. ;)

Each person's take on that is influenced by the ethics of the person(s) who mentored them when they began hunting, tempered against what is technically legal. I guarantee you not every member here will agree on some of the ethical tenets of other members, as sure as I am that they were mentored by different people, under different circumstances. I hope that everyone is mature enough to not only agree with shared definitions of ethical hunting, but to also be civil enough to disagree with the ones they do not share, without behaving disagreeably.

This thread is not about individual state's differences in hunting laws, or how we were raised to see the role of hunting, so continuing on where we left off...

What calibers are Handi Rifles currently offered in? Those light, little single shots look pretty intimidating when considering shooting powerful calibers out of them. Does a Ruger #1 count as a primitive weapon? I shot one of those at the range in .460 S&W and it wasn't too punishing.

Hoot

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dvrod18 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Hoot wrote:
etijsma wrote:

i think this is a good thing, it may get another hunter in the field. Isn't that what its about?

Any time we can increase the number of hunters, it a good thing. However, not at any cost to the sport. We always need to keep an eye on the difference between hunting and taking game. I don't necessarily mean in this particular topic, but there are a lot of people out there who get so hung up on the ends that they'll use any means to get there. I know too well how difficult it is to come back to work on the Monday after deer season and tell the gang I got skunked. That just means I don't get first choice of the breedable women for a year. ;)

I guess that is one way of looking at it, I'm just not sure that it is how it works out. I'm sure it has made hunting more attractive to some and I'm sure there is some increase in hunters that can be attributed to the use of single shot rifle instead of traditional muzzle loader and crossbows -vs- bow/arrow. I tend to believe this number is small. Personally we do not have a deer epidemic that is present in some places. In fact we have a hard time seeing them on a regular basis. We have suffered a great decrease in population and herd quality due to over hunting and poor management at the state level. We have hunted the same property since the early 1990's and have taken several nice deer over the years. We just don't have them any more.

In most cases I would agree that more hunters is better for all, it just doesn't really fit my current situation. We have a lot more game takers than hunters in the area. Oh well enough talk on that, I just thought it would be neat to see if anyone had converted the handi rifle.
dvrod18

Postby bigboreshooter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 am

I love H&R, my first gun was a single shot 20 ga. that I shot many rabbits with. I have a bull barrel .223 by them that I took several deer with (heart shots), so I looked at their page since you can have lots of barrels per action, they do not do "custom" calibers but do offer 45-70, .44 mag, or .500 SW. Would any of these or boring any bull barrel to our standards be possible?
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

A long time ago, Tim and I had this same conversation and I did a bit of research and ended up calling them to ask about the details, Specs of a barrel that we thought might be convertable. I think the barrel was a 45 Long Colt but I really don't remember. Bottom line, the manufacturer refused to give me specs on the barrel in question stating proprietary information as the reason. While the twist would have been one issue, the main challenge would be modifying the extractor to eject the 450 Bushmaster case.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Firearms