Slick Side

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Slick Side

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Being 2 years new to the ar platform, I want your opinions. Thinking of building a new upper.
Pros, cons of a slick side upper?? Would be used for hunting and paper punching.

Thanks.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Re: Slick Side

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:56 pm

I've found the forward assist helpful in loading my rifle much more quietly in the field.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:30 pm

I agree. Thats the only gripe i have with my Trident upper, I plan on deer hunting with it and will be chambering the same round multiple times before actually shooting it. The forward assist would be handy so as not to have the bullet creeping forward every time I chamber it. As for now i'll have to alternate rounds i chamber and when they get to far out i'll have to reseat them. I've also found the forward assist handy for extremely cold weather. If my .223 is the least bit dirty when its cold it has a tendancy to not go into full battery on initial chambering. YMMV
Wicked Hunter

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 pm

True that Bill, same here.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Hunting exposes weapon to all kinds of issues. Dust cover protects against dust and debris. Forward assist may come in REAL handy if you have Hogzilla charging and your bolt doesnt close and lock.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Colohunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:38 pm

I have one on my 6.8 SPC and I have not had any issues with it. You may miss the forward assist for loading your rifle quietly in the field. The dust cover can be nice, but I leave frequently leave mine open on my other ARs and I haven't had any problems with function. It largely comes down to personal preference.

One small annoyance is the fact that my DPMS slick side does not fit in my upper receiver vice block.
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 pm

My 6.5 Grendel laser is a slick side. While I don't like not having the FA, I can soft chamber a round for the most part by easing the CH forward until I feel the bolt touch and then I pull it back about an inch and release it. It sends the bolt home almost every time. Probably something like 24/25 tries. Having a Badger Ordinance Tac Latch helps ease the CH forward without requiring much attention. Don't know how I got along without one, once I got it. I suspect the slightly more rigid nature of the slick side upper receiver is a contributing factor to the 6.5G's accuracy. YMMV

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am

I have also pressed on the recessed portion of the bolt carrier (where the detent for the dust cover rests). As long as the bolt is cool, I.e. before a hunting trip, you can ease it closed that way.
Colohunter

Postby Ghost Dog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks guys. Since reading these forums I've been using the forward assist to load the round when I'm out hunting, never thought the round would start growing. As for the dust cover I forget to close it until I've been out for a while and start fidgeting around.
CH and Hoot, thanks for the input, you've answered a few questions.
On a normal receiver my scope overhangs the charging handle and my fat fingers have a hard time getting in there, especially with gloves.
That's one reason I've thought about a slick side, or else get a tactical handle.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:Thanks guys. Since reading these forums I've been using the forward assist to load the round when I'm out hunting, never thought the round would start growing. As for the dust cover I forget to close it until I've been out for a while and start fidgeting around.
CH and Hoot, thanks for the input, you've answered a few questions.
On a normal receiver my scope overhangs the charging handle and my fat fingers have a hard time getting in there, especially with gloves.
That's one reason I've thought about a slick side, or else get a tactical handle.

I've only tried two tac latches and for a scoped AR, this Badger Ordinance Gen 1 works best for me.

When I was first considering one, I was concerned that it would pose a snagging hazard, but having toted it this past deer season, it was not troublesome at all. The larger footprint gave me the necessary mechanical advantage to cycle the action with the rifle shouldered and not have to change my hold at the ready. That was important to me in a hunting weapon, so I did check it before heading out into the field. The other one I got was also a Badger, but the Gen 2 to see which I liked better.

It also works, but with less mechanical advantage. If I had it to do over, I would get another Gen 1, but the difference in functionality is not a show stopper. There are plenty of choices for tactica latches out there and everyone has their own preference. Yours may be different than mine.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Firearms