what caliber to make me look good?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: what caliber to make me look good?

Postby tbirdman74 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Last year for Christmas the wife got me a Ruger m77 varmint/target in 6.5 creedmoor. 28" barrel, laminate stock, two stage trigger, etc. First twenty rounds of factory 120 gr. Amax wasn't much to brag about, next twenty reloads of same were decent, pushed them out to .020 off the lands and took it on a prairie dog hunt today, and it was like shooting a laser gun out to 300-325 yards on the dogs. I have a new favorite gun for dogs. I absolutely love the creedmoor round. I've got a bunch of 140 Amax test loads to shoot, then stretch it out to 600, then 1000.
As far as recoil, I'm gonna say equivalent of a 100 gr. bullet out of a 243. Maybe a little less with the heavy gun and long tube. Allowed me to see hits through the scope if on low power.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby jerdebson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 pm

tbirdman74 wrote:Last year for Christmas the wife got me a Ruger m77 varmint/target in 6.5 creedmoor. 28" barrel, laminate stock, two stage trigger, etc. First twenty rounds of factory 120 gr. Amax wasn't much to brag about, next twenty reloads of same were decent, pushed them out to .020 off the lands and took it on a prairie dog hunt today, and it was like shooting a laser gun out to 300-325 yards on the dogs. I have a new favorite gun for dogs. I absolutely love the creedmoor round. I've got a bunch of 140 Amax test loads to shoot, then stretch it out to 600, then 1000.
As far as recoil, I'm gonna say equivalent of a 100 gr. bullet out of a 243. Maybe a little less with the heavy gun and long tube. Allowed me to see hits through the scope if on low power.

Excellent, Excellent choice. Its hard to improve on the Creedmoor platform.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby MarkCO » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I'd suggest the .260 Remington. Here's why...

Factory rifles are plentiful as is factory ammo. Since is it based on the .308 cartridge, brass is plentiful, cheaper than most of the others and easy to make as well. The 6.5mm projectiles are plentiful with very high BC numbers. A lot of the long range/tactical/precision guys use this round so there is bound to be at least one or two people near you with load data for your environment. The factory loadings come in a variety of flavors including match, hunting and varmint grades. I'd probably go with the Savage 111LRH for a good starter .260.

The 6.5 Creedmore would be a close second place. The barrel life in a 6.5 C will be a tad less than the .260 which burns a bit less powder and has just a bit less MV. But, if the "perfect" rifle for me was only in a 6.5 C, I would not mind it much.

Why not the 6mm/.243 family? Barrel life is the big one. For approximately the same 600 yard performance, your barel life will be less than half that of a .260. The 7mm family, even the 7mm-08 has more recoil, especially when you talk about 600 yard performance.

The 6.5s are the "just right" caliber for a lot of chores and the .260 is probably the just right of the 6.5s. It is fun to shoot, loads are easy to work up and there is nothing tricky about them.
MarkCO

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

MarkCO wrote:I'd suggest the .260 Remington. Here's why...

Factory rifles are plentiful as is factory ammo. Since is it based on the .308 cartridge, brass is plentiful, cheaper than most of the others and easy to make as well. The 6.5mm projectiles are plentiful with very high BC numbers. A lot of the long range/tactical/precision guys use this round so there is bound to be at least one or two people near you with load data for your environment. The factory loadings come in a variety of flavors including match, hunting and varmint grades. I'd probably go with the Savage 111LRH for a good starter .260.

The 6.5 Creedmore would be a close second place. The barrel life in a 6.5 C will be a tad less than the .260 which burns a bit less powder and has just a bit less MV. But, if the "perfect" rifle for me was only in a 6.5 C, I would not mind it much.

Why not the 6mm/.243 family? Barrel life is the big one. For approximately the same 600 yard performance, your barel life will be less than half that of a .260. The 7mm family, even the 7mm-08 has more recoil, especially when you talk about 600 yard performance.

The 6.5s are the "just right" caliber for a lot of chores and the .260 is probably the just right of the 6.5s. It is fun to shoot, loads are easy to work up and there is nothing tricky about them.

+1
I have a 24" 260 Remington swapping barrel for my LAR-8. Played with it a little this past spring but its another of the too many calibers I bit off to chew this year. Didn't plan on it being the busiest spring and summer in recent years around here. Hope to get more time to play with them next year, now that the daughter is off to college and the house is all spruced up. Truth be told, I've been tempted to send the the barrel off to WC and have it bored and chambered for the 450LM, but college has proven to be yet another money pit :roll: and I have to save my dwindling disposable money for this year's approaching deer hunt in 6 weeks. Hey Tim, need another test bed? Do pro-Bono barrel jobs? It's a bull barrel with plenty of metal to spare and a rifle length gas port. ;)

Say good night Gracey...
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 am

I almost forgot to post but I ended up getting a savage F-class model 12 in 6br Norma. The rifle has a 30" heavy barrel and a very nice laminate stock but.....the stock is going down the road with a tube rifle stock as a replacement. Only problem is my stock won't be ready until the June July time frame. This gun had 204 documented rounds through it before I bought it. The owner even provided his pet load along with targets he had shot. I almost felt bad for the price I paid. Almost! I have a 6-24x50 burris signature select sitting on top of it. Pics tomorrow.
Stealthshooter

Postby Colohunter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 am

Sounds like a sweet shooter!
Colohunter

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 am

Hoot wrote:
MarkCO wrote:I'd suggest the .260 Remington. Here's why...

+1
I have a 24" 260 Remington swapping barrel for my LAR-8. Played with it a little this past spring but its another of the too many calibers I bit off to chew this year. Didn't plan on it being the busiest spring and summer in recent years around here. Hope to get more time to play with them next year, now that the daughter is off to college and the house is all spruced up. Truth be told, I've been tempted to send the the barrel off to WC and have it bored and chambered for the 450LM, but college has proven to be yet another money pit :roll: and I have to save my dwindling disposable money for this year's approaching deer hunt in 6 weeks. Hey Tim, need another test bed? Do pro-Bono barrel jobs? It's a bull barrel with plenty of metal to spare and a rifle length gas port. ;)

Say good night Gracey...

Both are Oh-So correct. The Creedmoor can be made from 308's fairly easily, but the 260 Remmy is just allot less fuss and muss.

It sounds like you already have plenty to make you look good and have made some good choices to Boot. But then again, the grass always looks better, on the far side of the fence, hence all the different cartridges and the fact we are Americans and do need to justify our choices..

..t

Hootster, I can do one on the Cuff for you, but my buddy, who lives near me, requires his Custom Services to be paid for, in advance. His custom work with a single-point cutter is beyond reproach. All of his Cut-Rifled Barrels come out ready for the Wimbledon Cup and I have used him for all of my proto-types (for this very reason), for the last 25yrs. However, because of his renowned work, it doesn't come cheap, it only claims to be the best..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Colohunter wrote:Sounds like a sweet shooter!

I wouldn't know personally YET! I am still waiting for some Boron bullet coating to get here. I figured I would just be wasting bullets and powder shooting it until I got all the stuff I intend to use for the final loads. Plus I don't want to scrub copper out of the barrel twice. Also it won't stop SNOWING!! I think I may sue Al Gore!! He promised me some Global warming and he lied!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Nosparks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 pm

I think you should get this one next!!

:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY :shock:
Nosparks

Postby tbirdman74 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm

I want one. That is all.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Previous