who has a 308 AR??

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: who has a 308 AR??

Postby kottke_35 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:24 pm

From my experience in selling/trading rifles usually you take a hit pretty hard. The local gander mountain here will give 40 percent of the blue book value of your gun. They airways take the condition down to at least95 percent and then give you 40 percent of what ever that remaining value is.

I picked up an almost brand new remington 700 in 308 win because gander would not give the guy an extra 50 bucks he was looking for...that's a story for another time.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby thatguy » Sun May 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I stopped by our local gander mountain and he said 35% profit is what they wanted to make off of used guns.. BUT I think he calculated the offer as 35% of the value (and he was using the 95% value)..

Winchester Model 95AE (angle eject) offer was $150 - I think it should be worth more in the +$325 range
Ruger Model 77 Mk II - stainless steel/all weather $210 - I think it should be worth at least $450 to $500

If they wanted to make 35% profit they would sell the 30-30 for $200

Do those number sound too high or too low??

Time to try and sell them locally now..

BUT Sportsmans Warehouse had a DPMS AP4 308 that I really liked.. had everything I wanted including iron sights.

Brian

kottke_35 wrote:From my experience in selling/trading rifles usually you take a hit pretty hard. The local gander mountain here will give 40 percent of the blue book value of your gun. They airways take the condition down to at least95 percent and then give you 40 percent of what ever that remaining value is.

I picked up an almost brand new remington 700 in 308 win because gander would not give the guy an extra 50 bucks he was looking for...that's a story for another time.

B.
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby kottke_35 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 am

Take them on down to the local police department and see if any officers are interested. ;)

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby thatguy » Wed May 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Slightly changing topics....

how do you save money building your own AR??

Last night I priced out building a .308 from a stripped lower to the same specs as the DPMS gun I liked.. I dont have a barrel wrench/armorer block to build up the upper, so I priced it as a complete upper unit.. i priced it using a DPMS lower, the same dpms buttstock, and a DPMS LPK and took an 'average cost' between 2 or 3 vendors..

My build was going to cost between $100 and $200 MORE than i could buy a complete rifle (based on online pricing)

Maybe I could look around and find better pricing using a variety of vendors BUT i get in the long run the shipping/handling would eat up most of the savings..

Just curious

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Barrel vise blocks run $27-$57. Upper blocks are about $30-$50. Barrel wrench I bought was about $29. From my perspective, I didn't expect to save much $ building my own upper. My goal was to build my upper to my specs so that every component of the upper was there because I wanted it there. No useless accessories, or tacticool BS doodads. The finished product?
This is my custom 6.5 Grendel. The only addition I made to this was to have Ross build me a custom Brake.
The rifle complete cost about the same or just a bit more than ordering it complete from Alexander Arms. But it's built to MY Specifications. Yes, I also custom built the lower from scratch.
It is a great feeling when your friends look at that rifle and ask to shoot it. Just being able to say you built it yourself is really cool.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Wed May 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Beauty, eh? Nice work, Dawg! :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BillytheKid » Fri May 18, 2012 7:01 pm

thatguy wrote:Slightly changing topics....

how do you save money building your own AR??

Last night I priced out building a .308 from a stripped lower to the same specs as the DPMS gun I liked.. I dont have a barrel wrench/armorer block to build up the upper, so I priced it as a complete upper unit.. i priced it using a DPMS lower, the same dpms buttstock, and a DPMS LPK and took an 'average cost' between 2 or 3 vendors..

My build was going to cost between $100 and $200 MORE than i could buy a complete rifle (based on online pricing)

Maybe I could look around and find better pricing using a variety of vendors BUT i get in the long run the shipping/handling would eat up most of the savings..

Just curious

brian

If I recall correctly, purchasing a stripped lower by itself means you don't pay the 11% Federal Excise Tax. Just remember to purchase it alone, and then purchase parts completely separate.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby gunnut » Fri May 18, 2012 9:01 pm

What I feel is the primary benefit of building your own is the detail knowledge you gain. Knowing how things work is very helpful when diagnosing problems.
and then there's the little kid inside that says "I DID THIS!"
gunnut

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri May 18, 2012 10:14 pm

My lower build cost was $564, but that included a $175 geissele trigger, when I could have used a spare from my Bushmaster XM15 for free. I spent $110 for my stripped lower and about $90 for the stock I chose. Without these "enhancements, the cost could have come in at around $300 to 350.

I also spent around $100 on tools (vise block, combo wrench, and pin punches mostly).

All these costs include shipping, which was about $60, so if I could have sourced the parts at ye locale gun shoppe at the internet prices, maybe it would have been cheaper.

I tend to agree that you can buy a stock lower a bit cheaper than you can build the one you want.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby DFWDave » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 pm

And then you could also go a TOTALLY different route as I did when I was surveying all the possible .308 platforms.

The Kel-Tec RFB forward-ejecting ambi-dextrous bullpup rifle at http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb
Difficult to find as they are only producing about 100 a month, but a heck of a set of novel concepts. Fits in a shotgun carrying case with night vision, daytime scope, magazine, etc.

DFW Dave
Bedford, TX
Bushmaster XM-15 E2S .450BM
ATN MK390 night vision for night hunting
Barska 4-16x60 Euro30 IR for twilight hunting
Aviator, Scuba diver, Videographer, Adventurer
DFWDave

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms