who has a 308 AR??

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

who has a 308 AR??

Postby thatguy » Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

For some reason I have gotten the notion that I want (notice not NEED) an AR in .308... I really like the DPMS 'compact hunter' (16" free float barrel, collapsable stock, match trigger).. I have a Wincherst M94-AE in 30-30, and a Ruger M77, Mk II (all weather, stainless) in 308 that I dont use, so I am thinking of trading them off against an AR 308 if i can find one that meets my desired specs (pretty much what the compact hunter offers)

Anyone have an AR in 308?

What do you have (brand, barrel length etc)?

Do you like it? it is too heavy to hunt with?

What sort of accuracy are you getting out of it? What ammo give you the best accuracy?

BTW - When you trade in a gun, how bad do they go off of the fair current price? I have looked on guns america and gotten a good idea what I can get for my 2 trades but dont know what to expect them to offer below that price..

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: who has a 308 AR??

Postby thatguy » Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Let me add.. the compact hunter weighs about 7.75 lbs based on the website.. A 450B carbine weights around 8.1 lbs.

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby commander faschisto » Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Best of luck finding one...every source I've checked is completely out of stock for AR-10 .308s...(Just as a suggestion, you should just find an AR 308 20" barrel and send it to Wildcatter to convert it to 450 LeGendre Magnum!)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby kottke_35 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Are you looking at this rifle for more of a hunting application? I assume so based upon your desired weight and length.

I went thru the same thing! Ended up going a different direction though.

Have you considered a 6.5 Grendel? Stick with your 450 lower and switch uppers based on your situation? Ammo is not as easy to find but this caliber puts up some impressive numbers out of an ar 15 platform.

My dad has a dpms lr-308. 24in heavy barrel. Shoots very well. Hornady 155? Amax. And federal gold medal match 168 for factory ammo.

Good luck!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby thatguy » Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm

several weeks ago the local sportsmans warehouse had a couple ar's in 308 (and a bunch of regular ar's).. they had a dpms 308 with a free float barrel, but im not sure what the length. BUT it handles like a 16/18"..

what started this was a thread on ar15 about the $900 dpms 308 at walmart.. BUT for what I wanted i would have to add a better trigger, add a free float forearm, and add a collapsable stock - so by the time i add that to the $900, i am better off trying to find something that comes with the specs I want..

Brian
thatguy

Postby lungingturtle2 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I have a remington R-25 .308 20" barrel, beautiful gun, shoots well, WAY too heavy. Great gun to shoot off the bench, but I'd much rather carry my Rem. 700 varmint special, consistant 1/2"- 3/4" with federal 168 gr. match ammo.
lungingturtle2

Postby Hoot » Thu May 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Last October, I decided to buy an RRA LAR-8 Predator HP with a 20" medium weight barrel. It balances like a dream, runs like a swiss watch, has the popular 2-stage NM trigger already and shot a 5-shot 100 yd groups like this with my first hand loads (168gr Amax over AR-Comp) :

When I decided to buy it. I Googled it and found it in stock at some paintball and firearms shop in Idaho. It wasn't list price, but it wasn't deeply discounted either. I ordered it and got it a few days later. Whatever you do, do not order it from RRA unless you don't need it until next year. Individual buyers are at the bottom of the priority chart. Hunt around for a stocking dealer and buy it. Now things have gotten even tighter than last October, so I don't know if you can even find one by hunting diligently for it. Too much needless panic buying right now. Gun manufacturers and store owners pray nightly, in secrecy, that President Obama gets re-elected. Don't kid yourself. ;)

Over the years. Being a .308 fanboy, I have owned an M14, G3, FAL, CETME and a .308 Navy Garand. Some I accurized as best I could and none of them came close to my Predator HP in accuracy. I suspect that is due to the fact that it's chamber is not designed like them, to be a battle rifle. It is designed to be an accurate .308 (not 7.62x51) sporting rifle. I give the Predator HP my highest recommendation. They also have Predator HP uppers in 7mm08 and .243 and you can also put DPMS barrels on them and they fit like a glove. I bought an additional 24" .260 Rem DPMS bull barrel for mine, for $210.00 (new) three months ago. In the case of the .260, that's a 1 inch diameter bar of steel with a tiny hole down the center so it is very barrel heavy. I would not consider it a comfortable, all day walk-about setup. However with the .308 barrel on it, I could carry it comfortably all day with my Safari Sling. I'm not some string bean and it doesn't make me feel overburdened at all, but then neither does my 20" 450b with a weight in the stock and weight added to the carrier. So that observation is subjective.

It received an extensive review in the July 2011 Shooting Times. I must temper this praise with the fact that it's the only 308 AR I've shot.

Hoot

Edit: In case you're wondering, it has a Wylde chamber, so it can safely shoot 7.62x51 milsurp. I use them as foulers and to obtain loading brass. Milsurp typically does about 2 inch groups at 100 yards from the Predator HP.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 am

thatguy wrote:For some reason I have gotten the notion that I want (notice not NEED) an AR in .308... I really like the DPMS 'compact hunter' (16" free float barrel, collapsable stock, match trigger).. I have a Wincherst M94-AE in 30-30, and a Ruger M77, Mk II (all weather, stainless) in 308 that I dont use, so I am thinking of trading them off against an AR 308 if i can find one that meets my desired specs (pretty much what the compact hunter offers)

Anyone have an AR in 308?

What do you have (brand, barrel length etc)?

Do you like it? it is too heavy to hunt with?

What sort of accuracy are you getting out of it? What ammo give you the best accuracy?

BTW - When you trade in a gun, how bad do they go off of the fair current price? I have looked on guns america and gotten a good idea what I can get for my 2 trades but dont know what to expect them to offer below that price..

thanks

Brian

Hey Brian,

If I understand you correctly it's called the rule of "4". Generally meaning (but not always true), whatever the "Used" MSRP is on your weapon, the dealer, assuming he wants his doors to stay open, on used gun, has to pay 4x less than he will sell it for. In other words, if the weapon is worth $100, used retail, in your area, then he will usually offer $25 bucks for it. So, if you want the hassle and expense of selling it on say gun-broker, yourself, you can save yourself a few bucks. Yup, but just a few, remember, besides the GB fee, there is the fee to a Dealer, on both ends, shipping costs, packing costs, and tons of running around costs, not to mention the "Time" involved. All of this, to just mention some of the fees, but not all of the expenses. I guess, Paying is, has always been, and always will be, our Way-of-Life, right??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 12, 2012 4:56 am

I recently took my mini 14 Ranch Rifle with rings in to Cabelas and sold it for $325.00. The interesting thing is, back in 1988, when I bought the rifle, I paid $318.00 for it, a good deal even back then. So... while I was definitely smiling when I left cabelas, I was also scratching my head. This guy pulled out all the books and did a few searches on his PC. After a few minutes of negotiating and countering offers, ( I started at $375.00), I feel like Cabelas treats incoming trades pretty seriously. But this may have been a fluke?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat May 12, 2012 10:00 am

How about something a little different, yet a little the same. A FNAR .308

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=1a905453ba&e=5e40194caa
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Next

Return to Firearms