Shelf life on ammo?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Shelf life on ammo?

Postby bushmeister » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:09 am

I was considering getting a little ammo inventory on hopes of getting a better deal. But wonder if I need to worry about turning that inventory over so it doesn't get bad. Is there a "shelf life" on ammo? I know I've shot ammo out of my M1 carbine that was 40 years old, but was just curious if there is a rule of thumb on this?
bushmeister

Re: Shelf life on ammo?

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:53 pm

bushmeister wrote:I was considering getting a little ammo inventory on hopes of getting a better deal. But wonder if I need to worry about turning that inventory over so it doesn't get bad. Is there a "shelf life" on ammo? I know I've shot ammo out of my M1 carbine that was 40 years old, but was just curious if there is a rule of thumb on this?

No, not really. I shoot WWII ammo with no ill effects. I have ammo can stuff that is 60yrs old that looks and shoots as new.

But, if the online stuff is to be believed, sometime after 20yrs, maybe and I say MAYBE, depending how you store it, maybe, you might want to rotate it. Then again, maybe not..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:52 pm

I've still got some 38 Special snake shot that I hand-loaded for my 357 Mag back in 1988. And it performs the same today as it did 24 years ago. I've got some Winchester Factory 32-20 bullets that were made back in the 1950s and they too, shoot great. With proper care, ammo shelf life can just about out live the shooter. That 32-20 ammo has outlived my great grandfather, grandfather and my father. And I ain't no spring chicken at the half century mark.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Yep, modern metallic components seem to last for decades with no apparent ill effects. The only old stuff I ever had a problem with was some paper/waxed Remmy shotshells from the 1930s that I tried to fire after they were about 70 years old, and they more or less just rolled out the end of the barrel...except for one that went off like a stick of dynamite...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BillytheKid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

I believe the only "enemies" are temperature and moisture. I have packed new ammo into surplus military ammo cans with a good "O" ring seal. Instead of spending so much on special desicant, I put silica gel cat litter into a sock, tie it shut, and put that into a small tupperware container that I had drilled some holes into the lid. That should collect any excess moisture. Then I store it in a cool area down low on the floor.

Hope this helps.
Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:24 pm

BillytheKid wrote:I believe the only "enemies" are temperature and moisture. I have packed new ammo into surplus military ammo cans with a good "O" ring seal. Instead of spending so much on special desicant, I put silica gel cat litter into a sock, tie it shut, and put that into a small tupperware container that I had drilled some holes into the lid. That should collect any excess moisture. Then I store it in a cool area down low on the floor.

Hope this helps.
Bill

Good idea!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 pm

That's what I was thinking, but I just thought I'd check. I was thinking more of maintaining a 4-5 year supply.. Rotating my stock as need be :D
bushmeister

Postby B swift » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:43 am

My brother and I found a few cans of old military surplus ammo in an abandon house hears ago. Submerged in an old chest freezer full of rain water. We eventually shot all of it. (even the tracers) Not suggesting you store your ammo under water... ;)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I have about 50 rounds of 1940-1944, 30-06 180gr ball, of various headstamps from around the US. Some of the rounds have light tarnish, but for the most part, they're shiny so I assume they were stored at least in a relatively dry location. I have this sporterized 1918 Eddystone with an original, shiny bore, 4-groove barrel, but most importantly no cracks around the receiver. I've never shot it and wanted to see what it would do. I figured that unless the ammunition has collectable value, it would be as good a candidate for shooting in that Eddystone as any. I'd probably keep the few TWin Cities Ordinance Plant headstamp ones since that's where I live, but otherwise shoot the rest up. Even if it's corrosive, it's not hard cleaning up a bolt action. The aftermarket sporterized monte carlo stock it has from days gone by actually fits my layout quite nicely. I got it from an old timer for cheap. He needed the room in his safe. It appears to have been reblued when it was sporterized and well maintained as it's actually quite handsome. Kinda odd getting used to a cock on close action, but unless anyone has any advice that the ammo is not safe given it's age, I'll give it a go.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 am

I store mine in military metal ammo cans or the newer plastic ones. Adding some dessicant is a great idea.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to Firearms