New 450b Build!

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

New 450b Build!

Postby CAhunter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi All,

I recently completed my first 450b build and I am stoked! I chose the 450 for one purpose: hogs! But its also a just plain freakin cool!

I looked at several options, but i am very happy I went with the 450. One big factor, frankly, was this forum. I have been very impressed with the people who post here - knowledgable and decent (helpful and and polite too) - not something you see in a lot of gun forums. I think that's important when choosing a calibre outside the mainstream.

I wanted a big bore ar because I like the platform. I've been using a Savage in 308 (which is an amazing weapon), but the ranch I go to for pigs is in the no lead zone. I've hit a 215 lb boar broadside with a super x 150 grain that was a direct spine hit, maybe 6 inches back from the neck. The beast started running! I hit him again and brought him down, but I won't soon forget seeing 308 slug lodged in the vertebrae and thinking about how that thing just took off running...

The main criteria for the build was light weight and power. I end up doing a lot of hiking when I go out. I went with the 20 inch upper, with the idea that the few extra fps won't hurt. For weight savings I used a "plastic fantastic" lower and an ace skeleton stock. I also kept the optic simple and light with a luepold fixed 4x33. It weighs in right around 7 lbs even (empty).

The first trip to the range was eye opening. Nearly broke my shoulder. Hurt worse than my 870 with 3" magnum buckshot... I added the Ross brake and a grind to fit Limbsaver and she's a pussycat now. Can't wait to try her out on hogs! Got to load up some non-lead first though...

Got my 454 Casull in the pic too - a hog killin combo!
Hog Combo.jpg
Hog Combo.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
CAhunter

Re: New 450b Build!

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 am

Welcome Aboard CAhunter.

Congrats on working through the recoil solution. For the lead free zone, it's hard t beat the Barnes XPB. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Soon, C.O.P. will be selling them under their name, through Midway, for about half the price. Yeah I know, "Coming Soon" takes on a whole new meaning with Midway. ;)

The XPBs are consistent, effective performers both in accuracy and expansion. Rummage around the Reloading for the 450B sub-forum and you'll find plenty of info on them.

Do let us know how the composite lower stands up to the recoil. A lot of us are "old school" about rifles, but we can be taught new tricks.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: New 450b Build!

Postby CAhunter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks Hoot!

I will definitely try out the XPB's. I've shot Barnes from other rifles and I've been impressed.

I'll let you know about the plastic lower too. I had mixed feelings about it, but it is a pound or so lighter, as built, and is "supposed" to be able to handle the 450b. So far so good. I have an extra mil-spec lower just in case :D .
CAhunter

Return to Firearms