6.5X55 Mauser project

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 6.5X55 Mauser project

Postby cptrifeg2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Ok so I bought the varmit stock, bought the wrong scout mount, just reordered the right one I hope..did the rough fitting for the stock now I have to glass bed it this weekend. As far as a trigger upgrade..im going to wait to see how I end up. I bought the dies, brass and hornady 140 grain bullets. I still have a crapload of the FMJs from german surplus but they really arent loaded that hot. I am very excited about this project as even before making any changes to my 1941 M38 small ring swede my iron sight shot groups from the bench without a sled were damn tight. hell crouched without any support they were 4.7 inches for all 10 shots at 100 yards. I've used the best the army has had to offer and not achieved that (crouching)with $3,000 optics lol. or that could just be a sign that I wasn't meant to use optics...

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby BD1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Let us know how it goes. I never met a swede that wouldn't shoot well, unless it had been messed up. My best luck has been with the 140 grain Speer Hot-Cores and the 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby cptrifeg2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, im about half way done...about the only thing I wish I had done differently so far was not buy the full blown glass bedding kit and listen to my instincts..I normally would have used grease or soft floor wax as the release agent for everything...but nooo had to use the fancy solution that guaranteed to break free from the epoxy...what a load of sh*t. I used grease on all the action parts but tried the solution on the barrel..yeah I had to spend hours chipping it off the sides of the barrel where the excess squeezes out.. I'm still waiting on the correct scout mount. the one pictured doesnt actually fit, it is ment for a molsin M38 or a swede 98..
The rifle feels great. I still need to sand and finish the stock, durabake the barrel , put on the proper scout mount and buy a scope.
The lee loading dies are great..but I forgot to buy the crimp die...once I get it done..most likely JAN 13, I'll take it to the range and show you the results.

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Previous

Return to Firearms