Taurus PT-92

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Taurus PT-92

Postby Hopalong » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:07 pm

I have a buddy considering one. I don't see him being a very active shooter, but he wants a reasonable gun. I've read a bit and it seems like the older ones are good, the newer ones maybe not so much. Anyone out there have any experience?

Thanks.

Hop
Hopalong

Re: Taurus PT-92

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Hopalong wrote:I have a buddy considering one. I don't see him being a very active shooter, but he wants a reasonable gun. I've read a bit and it seems like the older ones are good, the newer ones maybe not so much. Anyone out there have any experience?

Thanks.

Hop

I had a mid-80s one (not a decocker) and it ran like a top. It was the pistol I used to qualify for my CCW. Of course it picked that moment to jam, but cleared and continued. Nerve wracking nevertheless. If the one your friend is considering was well maintained, No reason not to expect it to run good. It's pretty much a clone of the A-92 and shot very accurately once in SA. That's why I used it to qualify. I'd recommend one to a friend if the price he was getting it for was right. I paid $325 for mine back then. I still have the useless walnut grips for mine in a shoe box. Replaced them with a Pachmyr wrap around, high tactile grip and forgot to include them with the gun when I sold it to a fellow at work to fund a Taurus M44 with the 6" ported barrel. Love that gun!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tpuig » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm

I have an early PT-92, with the low mounted mag release (euro style). Bought it in the early 80's, and I have never had a problem with thousands of rounds through it.
It's a bit big for my hands and I also put the Pachmyer grips on it, but it has never failed me.
tpuig

Postby helidude350 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 pm

I have the stainless / aluminum version and also the beretta it was copied from.
Got it a couple years ago. Both fired what ever ammo that I fed them. Even "rat shot".
Don't remember any problems. Now I don't have a lot of range time with either one.
And I can't recall what brands of ammo, but ball, hollow point, and rat shot.
The beretta had some reputation for some models with slide cracking, but I think it was
for high round count guns .
Don't recall any issues for the Taurus . The mags don't interchange, but with a little fiddling
with a dremel they might.
Crimson trace makes a laser grip for the berretta, but it will NOT fit the Taurus .

But.....
On the fun side .....
You can practice that Jet Li slide snatch thing from the Mel Gibson movie.

I would recommend either.
If you can find ammo to feed it.
helidude350

Return to Firearms