pistol mounted light

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

pistol mounted light

Postby tbirdman74 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm

So, after a little scare in my home last night, realised I need to have a light mounted on my pistol. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced light, and also, does black hawk make a holster that accepts pistols with mounted lights? Already have a rear sight mounted laser on my glock g21, but would like to keep my black hawk style of holster since I'm accustomed to it.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Re: pistol mounted light

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I am not an expert on this, but I would suggest not mounting a light on the pistol. Use one of the common grips (see the URL below) to hold the light in your off hand. This allows you to search around with the light without simultaneously pointing the gun at whatever you illuminate (e.g., children's beds to check if they are all right), while at the same time quickly bringing the light up to support your weapon. There may also be situations where you do not want to give the position of your gun away with the light. For many years it was taught to hold the light away from the body, as that is most likely to be what draws fire from an opponent. I don't know why the change was made - possibly to give better control over the handgun with a brace from the weak hand.

This also means that you do not have to have a special holster for the gun/light combination, and you can carry the light in the holster or holder that comes with it next to your spare mag on your off side.

If you attach the light to the weapon, be sure to test fire it. Some will not hold up to the recoil or the slide returning to battery. I have read of the end caps coming off. I had a compact laser that turned itself on, whenever i fired my semi auto.

Surefire and Streamlight seem to be the lights of choice.

Here is an excellent write-up (IMHO), which recommends using the "eye index technique" to hold the light in the off hand and discusses many other points - http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/07/how-to-use-a-tactical-flashlight/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: pistol mounted light

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm

I carry a stream light tlr-1 mounted to my duty weapon(xd45) everyday. Never had an issue with it and it allows for a solid two handed grip on the weapon. Get into the habit of using your off hand thumb to activate the light instead of using your trigger finger. The caviot to this is blackhawk does not make a Serpa style holster for the stream light lights. You would have to go with one of their lights which is specifically designed for the Serpa holster. I have several options for holsters with my light. The steam light tlr1 runs between 99-129 bucks. Pretty reasonable for a quality product.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Return to Firearms