.338 Lapua Christmas Story

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

.338 Lapua Christmas Story

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:14 pm

A few weeks ago, my brother comes to me and says the gun dealer - ( he has purchased many firearms from ) - has a Remington 700 pss .338 Lapua. The dealer says hes tired of constantly moving the rifle from display to gun safe every day, for months. In doing so, it has picked up a ding here and there on the finish, but no real issues and would sell it to him for $1150.00.

So, my brother comes to me and says "if I buy it, I wont have anything left over for Christmas presents, so, uh, do ya wanna go half?" I said "yeah, go for it!" The next morning, as he is pouring coffee, he says "I didn't pressure you into going half, did I?" I say "yeah, but I'm good with it, so go for it!"

Monday afternoon comes, and I send him a text asking "did ya get it?" His reply, "I drove by after work, and there was absolutely NO parking anywhere. So, I took that as a sign from God that maybe it wasn't meant to be. Besides, I pressured you into it" I text back "so, what are you gonna do? Are you gonna call and see if it's still there?" He replies "I'll go in on Saturday, and see. If it's still there, then it was meant to be"

So, on Tuesday, I drive up to the gun dealer and buy it out from underneith him! I tell the dealer "don't say a word! it's gonna be his Christmas present!" You should have seen the sad look on his face on Saturday at the gun shop, contrasted with his total joy on Christmas morning!

The receipt is in his name, so he still has to fill out the paperwork, and sit out the waiting period, so, no pictures or reports yet.

One question though, is the barrel lapped at the factory, or do we have to go through that laborous and painfull "new barrel break in procedure"?

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: .338 Lapua Christmas Story

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:24 am

That's a great value for that rifle in that caliber, even with handling dings.
Have the barrel bore-scoped by a professional. WYSIWYG.
Done right, JB bore paste treating before shooting is money and time well spent. There are good how-to articles online.
The cost of a bore guide, paste, Kroil, Tipton rod, jag, patches and a 10-pack of bronze brushes is still less than one box of 20 .338 Lapua rounds.
Are you interested in adopting another brother? ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:42 am

Hoot wrote:.

Hoot

heck, can I lease you as a brother!!!!

338 Lapua just makes me drool.
Al in Mi

Postby thatguy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Just wondering.. what is he going to use it for?

I assume he/you will be reloading for it.. the cheaped ammo to go has is 20 rds for $109 - I certainly wont complain about 450B prices lol

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Hoot wrote:That's a great value for that rifle in that caliber, even with handling dings.
Have the barrel bore-scoped by a professional. WYSIWYG.
Done right, JB bore paste treating before shooting is money and time well spent. There are good how-to articles online.
The cost of a bore guide, paste, Kroil, Tipton rod, jag, patches and a 10-pack of bronze brushes is still less than one box of 20 .338 Lapua rounds.

Hoot

WYSIWYG, heard and understood! LOL We'll check into prices for getting the bore lapped too. Maybe it wont hurt too bad? Maybe.... LOL
BillytheKid

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Al in Mi wrote:

Hoot

Is this a "highest bidder" kinda thing? LOL
BillytheKid

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:17 pm

thatguy wrote:Just wondering.. what is he going to use it for?

I assume he/you will be reloading for it.. the cheaped ammo to go has is 20 rds for $109 - I certainly wont complain about 450B prices lol

Brian

Yeah, that's a good question.

First, and foremost, bragging rights! LOL

Second, it's one more "club in the golf bag" for hunting. Specifically, there is a ridge across a valley, with a creek, and my brother has wanted to "reach out and touch something" (he's glassed bear and deer over there). Plus, having an ATV now, he's not so hesitant to kill so far away.

Third, and least likely, it's one more "club in the golf bag" for certain self defense situations.
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:50 pm

BillytheKid wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:

Hoot

Is this a "highest bidder" kinda thing? LOL

Heck thoughs guys are second fiddle.. I'm the new brother!!!

What a wonderful thing to do Bill, thanks for sharing that story.

As a sideline, I built the first barrel for that Cartridge and was the driving force and designed the 300gr .338 Sierra Bullet, specifically for that cartridge. When you get all outfitted out, how about sharing the data too, we'll all help!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:52 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Heck thoughs guys are second fiddle.. I'm the new brother!!!

What a wonderful thing to do Bill, thanks for sharing that story.

As a sideline, I built the first barrel for that Cartridge and was the driving force and designed the 300gr .338 Sierra Bullet, specifically for that cartridge. When you get all outfitted out, how about sharing the data too, we'll all help!!

..t

My brother deserves it. All those years he bought nice things for me at Christmas, when I could only afford to give little things. He deserves it.

I'll be happy to share what we learn.
BillytheKid

Postby bushmeister » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

great story!
bushmeister

Next

Return to Firearms