30 RAR

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

30 RAR

Postby MarkCO » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Did any of you ever play with this round? Being as how it seems that Remington necked a .450BM case down to .30 caliber, sure seems like a good fit for the .450 folks to play around with it a bit. I know Remington dropped it, but I have remained curious about it for the last year or so.
MarkCO

Re: 30 RAR

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:46 pm

MarkCO wrote:Did any of you ever play with this round? Being as how it seems that Remington necked a .450BM case down to .30 caliber, sure seems like a good fit for the .450 folks to play around with it a bit. I know Remington dropped it, but I have remained curious about it for the last year or so.

Mark,

They may have dropped it but I saw a new shipment of ammo at my local store. So, ammo at least, is still being made.

In my opinion they did it all wrong. Oh it works but there is a better way and you can make far better ammo for it, that actually does compete with the .308, performance-wise.

Leme know and I'll fix you an upper, that will astound you.

Buutttt soon, I will be offering a 308 cartridge in the AR15! Yes, that's in an AR15 not an AR10type (Yuppers, stick a one of my new fangled uppers on your lower and Bingo, you're in business with the 308 win cartridge.). If there are others here interested in such a monster, better let me know now, so I can gauge the Market, might hurry things along!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Colohunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 pm

I looked a lot into the 30 RAR wanting to get a flatter shooting cartridge suitable for Elk out of an AR-15. Although I liked the idea of the round, the difficulty finding uppers, ammo and brass ultimately made me decide to drop the concept. I've been carrying my 450 hunting the last couple years, but I will probably go back to my 30-06 next year for a little flatter trajectory. I tend to stick to the heavier timber and that results in shorter shot distances, but there are some larger openings that make me nervous with the 450.

I've been following the AR-15 Performance 270 AR over at the 68forums. It seems to have a lot of what I'm interested in, but I don't know if I'll have the spare funds when he has the barrels available.
Colohunter

Postby MarkCO » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 pm

But of course Tim. :mrgreen:

I've been waffling between a 30AR and a 6.5 PCC, maybe I'll just move on up. :D
MarkCO

Postby Indy Joe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 am

I bought one of the first ones. I like it but , here in Indiana we can not use it for deer hunting. We can however use the 450 Bushmaster. Go figure.
I found the 30RAR to be a fun round to play with and to be accurate enough for my use. however it is in no way a 308.
Indy Joe

Postby Colohunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Do you use factory ammo or handloads? What kind of velocities are you getting with it?
Colohunter

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm

wildcatter wrote:
MarkCO wrote:Did any of you ever play with this round? Being as how it seems that Remington necked a .450BM case down to .30 caliber, sure seems like a good fit for the .450 folks to play around with it a bit. I know Remington dropped it, but I have remained curious about it for the last year or so.

Mark,

They may have dropped it but I saw a new shipment of ammo at my local store. So, ammo at least, is still being made.

In my opinion they did it all wrong. Oh it works but there is a better way and you can make far better ammo for it, that actually does compete with the .308, performance-wise.

Leme know and I'll fix you an upper, that will astound you.

Buutttt soon, I will be offering a 308 cartridge in the AR15! Yes, that's in an AR15 not an AR10type (Yuppers, stick a one of my new fangled uppers on your lower and Bingo, you're in business with the 308 win cartridge.). If there are others here interested in such a monster, better let me know now, so I can gauge the Market, might hurry things along!!

..t

I would like one!
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby Nosparks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:23 pm

A true .308 in ar15 I would be interested in it for sure!
Nosparks

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I don't know anything about this round and rifle, other than it exists, but on paper it does pretty well:

http://www.arrowarms.net/aarms/index.php/the-308-arrow/

As usual WC's approach makes more sense: Just use a regular .308 round, and get the hardware to cooperate with it... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bushmeister » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Count me in on the 308 ar15 interest level.
bushmeister

Next

Return to Firearms