Human Error?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Who's fault is this?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 pm

A. Rifle MFG company.
No votes
B. User incompetence.
10%
C. Ammunition manufacturer/Handloader incompetence.
20%
D. Both B. & C.
70%

Total votes : 10

Human Error?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Picture is worth a thousand words. Stay civil. All opinions welcome.
Again. Stay civil. I mean it.
This is NOT my rifle. It's just a picture pulled off a discussion thread from an undisclosed source where they are trashing Colt for this upper failure.
https://www.facebook.com/AR15GunOwnersO ... 8590404653
image.jpg
Upper failure
image.jpg (109.6 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Human Error?

Postby jerdebson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I am by no means an expert but when I have heard or seen a picture like that it was ammo related. Either too hot a reload, a round followed a squib up the spout or a mixture of operator errors. We all have done things we hope don't get around but it can happen to anyone. The lesson here is to keep your head in the game. Just my oppinion.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:15 pm

I can't stand by and let Colt get any blame or hate for this. Too many people with an agenda or tunnel vision.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Does this look similar? Image

That is from Carbon Arms facebook page, October 29, 2013. Part of an article I wrote for RECOIL that will be in the SHOT show issue. Deep seated, 77 grainer in front of a compressed load of fast pistol powder. NEW upper, receiver, BCG that were all subjected to extensive NDT protocols and tests. I also put a slug in the bore of an M4 about halfway between the gas port and the chamber, then put a 77 grain 5.56 load in and fired, no failure, fired again, no failure, fired again, no failure. The 4th round cleared the bore and we put 4K rounds through the M4 on FA with nothing. The X-ray images of the barrel bulge will be with the article.

First, highly unlikely anything was wrong with the rifle. In order to blow the bottom of the carrier off, the bolt had to fracture as well. Adding up the bolt, carrier and receiver strength, the loads to cause that damage are over 200Kpsi, or about 4 time operating pressure, or 3 times proof pressure. BAD AMMO!

I've blown up 15 firearms, 8 cars and 7 houses...on purpose and not illegally with overlapping safety protocols, in the course of my professional work. Still never turn down the opportunity to make something go boom.

When I was testing propane tanks for a major national supplier due to a HMS inquiry, I had three firemen huddled and wide-eyed behind their pumper truck. It was kind of funny.
MarkCO

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Marky & Jerry, have it right in my humble opinion.

As I read the pictures, that was a Huge Overload, of say Bullseye or some such. It could have been a cook-off too, just occurring at some point before lug lock-up. Either way, this was an extremely high pressure load, that did all this damage. Which all points out that yes, you too can screw up the Reloading Safety Protocols. I'd bet this shooter, when he returned to his bench, figured out, that his Protocols were lacking.

You must be careful and methodic in your reloading practices. Keep primers/powders off your reloading table, except the ones you intend to use. Check, Recheck, and Triple Check every step in your reloading process. I'm not kidding here! Triple checking is a minimum! Demand that there is to be "NO-TALKING", at all during the Priming and Powder Charging Process. This is NOT the time to become distracted. And if the Buddies won't quit talking or asking questions, stop, and run the out of the room!!

You are the Pilot-In-Command and thus responsible. Reloading is very rewarding on many levels, but it is also Dangerous. DO-NOT blame anybody but yourself for mishaps. Buck up and except your responsibility! Heck, shooting factory isn't completely safe either!

My final point about excepting our responsibilities is this. Their is a type of Cat that thinks everything should be Completely Safe for HIM.. So then consider this, there is a reason why 50% or more of our ammunition costs are because of this particular Cat, suing everything in sight!!

..t

PS.. I've only addressed the priming/charging process, to be sure, there are many more safety rules..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tbirdman74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Resembles pictures I saw recently of someone punching a 300 blackout round into their 5.56 upper. Bullet set back into case and the hammer fell on it.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Return to Firearms