Crush washers for .450 Bushmaster?

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Crush washers for .450 Bushmaster?

Postby Kobyashu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Guys, I figure this sounds kind of stupid, but I cannot seem to find a crush washer for my new Ross Shuler muzzle brake. Typically, I'd rather suffer in silence, but I cannot wait to shoot my rifle with the new muzzle brake. Can you recommend a site for this? Bushmaster/Brownells don't seem to carry them on their website, and/or my poor computer search skills keep me from finding it. ANY lead would be greatly appreciated!

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Re: Crush washers for .450 Bushmaster?

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 pm

I just googled "9/16 crush washer" and this was one of several hits that popped up:
http://www.rainierarms.com/crush-washer-9-16

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Kobyashu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Hoot,

thank-you, Thank-you, & THANK-YOU! Every time I have had a question, it is always answered here. The guys on this site are the best. As it was, I was failing miserably to find the right size crush washer. I'll order this one.

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby Kobyashu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Hoot,

Isn't the .450 Bushy an 11/16 x 24? I must have lost my mind. Will a 9/16" crush washer fit the Bushmaster? Please advise.

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Kobyashu wrote:Hoot,

Isn't the .450 Bushy an 11/16 x 24? I must have lost my mind. Will a 9/16" crush washer fit the Bushmaster? Please advise.

Kobyashu

Thank Goodness at least one of us is not sleep walking! :?

Not sure where my brain was but it certainly was not on the 450 Bushmaster. Of course, you are correct and simultaneously let down by the fact that I linked you to the wrong crush washer. I'll just go back into my burrow for 6 more weeks.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Kobyashu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Hoot,

Well, I was definitely sleepwalking... I actually ordered three, and paid $20 bucks to get them (9/16 crush washer) here, before I realized what I had done... (Ha!) In any case, do you have any idea where I can get a crush washer that will work? I've searched Brownells & Midway, w/o any luck. Bushmaster doesn't have any in stock, and won't for at least 30 days, as they are backordered (not willing to give them money until the washers are in-stock). I'm seriously considering the local Ace Hardware store... Not sure that the crush washer would work, but at this point, I even willing to give that a try, if it will allow the Muzzlebrake to index correctly. Any thoughts?

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 am

Kobyashu wrote:Hoot,

Well, I was definitely sleepwalking... I actually ordered three, and paid $20 bucks to get them (9/16 crush washer) here, before I realized what I had done... (Ha!) In any case, do you have any idea where I can get a crush washer that will work? I've searched Brownells & Midway, w/o any luck. Bushmaster doesn't have any in stock, and won't for at least 30 days, as they are backordered (not willing to give them money until the washers are in-stock). I'm seriously considering the local Ace Hardware store... Not sure that the crush washer would work, but at this point, I even willing to give that a try, if it will allow the Muzzlebrake to index correctly. Any thoughts?

Kobyashu

Now I feel really bad

The sad part is in my case, I don't even use them. I use teflon pipe tape to immobilize my brakes. My experience with crush washers has been that the registration slowly drifts each time you remove and re-tighten the muzzle device. I remove mine occasionally to clean beneath it. Some bore solvents wick back up under them into the threads and can cause corrosion, left unchecked over time.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Kobyashu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Hmmmmm....

Well, this might be interesting. I have an abundance of plumbers tape. I think I'll give that a try. I thought that you "HAD" to have the crush washer. Seems a bit silly, but now that I'm not running on three hours of sleep, it makes perfect sense! Thanks Hoot!

Kobyashu
Kobyashu

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Kobyashu wrote:Hmmmmm....

Well, this might be interesting. I have an abundance of plumbers tape. I think I'll give that a try. I thought that you "HAD" to have the crush washer. Seems a bit silly, but now that I'm not running on three hours of sleep, it makes perfect sense! Thanks Hoot!

Kobyashu

You need to experiment with the number of winds it takes to immobilize the brake under normal use. IIRC, it takes around 4 turns on my current barrel, but the original Bushmaster barrel took more turns. If you want to send me those 9/16 units, I'll try opening one up and seeing how much meat is left to work with after it fits over the threaded muzzle. May be worthwhile and may be a bust. Wont know without trying.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:59 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 28669 times

As you can see from this blown up picture, I also use Teflon tape. I use the type for natural gas pipe threads that's why you can see what looks like yellow colored tape sticking out of there. I was in a hurry and didn't bother to worry about looks that day. But I did a test where I fired five rounds fairly close together on a hot day and the muzzle brake temp was only around 110° F. The gas tape is rated at around 400-500° if I'm not mistaken. I think you can find the video on my you tube channel from a few years ago called "A Day at the Range".
http://youtu.be/BR5Ph6SmY00
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Firearms