Taylor Ridge Runner

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Taylor Ridge Runner

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Apparently, Taylor is coming out with their Ridge Runner series. A lever action in 45/70 with muzzle break and Picatinny rail.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1886-rid ... hrome.html
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Re: Taylor Ridge Runner

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:17 am

BillytheKid wrote:Apparently, Taylor is coming out with their Ridge Runner series. A lever action in 45/70 with muzzle break and Picatinny rail.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1886-rid ... hrome.html

Thanks for showing this to us Bill.

I used to want a lever action and I still have an affinity for quality Bolt actions. But I gotta tell ya, none of that makes sense any more. I keep thinking why not use a single shot, because in reality that's what you've got. When the "Fatal" day comes and come it will, if you keep hunting dangerous game or camp in dangerous game country.

Imagine, a charge from close range and even at 50 yds a pig is to close, if it charges after a blown shot, you just won't have time to reload for a second shot, unless you have a semi-auto?? And even then, you'd better have enough Terminal Performance to decide any issue.

On that fifty (50) yard thing.

I once shot a double on deer, with a 300HH magnum. Total Broadside Shots. Took off the top of both Hearts and completely broke down both front legs on both deer. The first one ran about 75yds the second ran 75yds, to the fence line, jumped the fence and ran another 75yds, in a heavy Forrest, before succumbing to the Fatal Shot.

Several years ago, I read where a man was attacked by a Badger. He lost a leg, if not for a Hunting Partner, he'd have lost his life.

Over the years there have been many accounts of deer killing men. And remember, Moose run folks up trees, at a rate of many more times, than all of the Bear attacks put together. And a Moose, if it gets a hold of you will stomp you so completely that the authorities "MAY" find a piece of shirt. This is almost common in Moose country, ask the Local DNR, they all have stories.

Bottom line, these animals are very resilient and will kill you if they can. Take enough Gun to decide the issues and a lever action using the 20mm cannon round, isn't enough..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:00 pm

And don't think you can cheat death by simply staying away from these deadly creatures. I tell you that if we do not bring the battle to them, then we will surely be fighting them off at our doorsteps. They will not stop until the rid the planet of us! I've seen the Wayne La Pierre undercover video of the meeting of the head badgers who control the upper midwest. If they succeed in uniting with the wolverines its all over folks. Load up an lets ride! Coordination of troops will be conducted over AM broadcast frequencies. The command and control channel is 1470 kHz and if the cinnamon bears are jamming it, then 1530 kHz. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Mostly I thought it was a very cool fusion of retro and modern.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Catter, I'll have to differ from you on the levergun in a situation.

This boar was on a bait we walked into a few years back in MB. We were about 50yds from him and he was none to happy to see us. Anybody who tells you blacks will always run from man is full of s**t. He started popping his jaws, did about a 10 step stiff legged walk towards us, guide started yelling, his ears went back, my gun came up, last thing I heard the guide say oh %&#@ here he comes and I started stroking the 71 Browning 50 Alaskan for all I was worth. I know the first shot hit him, and the 4th shot planted him at about 25', there were 3 holes in him and I fired 5 times. Guys 1/2 mile back at the truck said it sounded like Chuck Conners in the old Rifleman tv show. It was over faster than it started, but couple things I remembered was spent cases hitting my arm and saying don't short stroke, don't short stoke. I guess I could have pulled a Mark Sullivan and waited till that 25' and beaned him, but my pucker factor was as high as I ever wanted to see it as it was.
Attachments
headache bear.jpg
headache bear.jpg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 25525 times
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:09 am

And the Big AL saves the day!

Several things come to mind.

First of all, you are bigger than the Bear, so big that you don't even need a gun.

Secondly, most folks are smaller and shoot the heaviest loads they can make. Making recovery, from recoil, problematic.

Thirdly, you can prolly handle the lever gun much better than most, considering the first two observations.

And last but not least, we have witnessed many charges wherein the shooter did-not have time to get the next round in the chamber for a well aimed follow-up shot. And this is the trick. If a Marauding Red Squirrel charges 'Ol Hoot from a close enough starting point, he going to get bit. But alas, Hoot's Took-us poison will over come any Marauding Critter. Poor Little Squirlerer..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am

I would rather have a bolt action than single shot. But I would rather have a lever action than a bolt action. But when it comes right down to it and I'm being charged, I would rather have a semi automatic than a lever action. But, if all I have is a lever action, I will certainly train myself to be proficient in the use of that firearm. It all boils down to training training and training. A man with a single shot firearm Who knows that his life depends on the skilled use of that weapon Will learn to fire and load it as fast he can. The same theory goes for the bolt action, the lever action, and the semi automatic firearm. Blessed is the man who owns a semiautomatic rifle and knows how to use it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BamBam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I started with single shot, got pretty good. Went to bolt, got pretty good. Went to lever, got pretty good. Went to a semi and found I was never as good as I thought I was with the others .... :D

There's a vid on YouTube of a guy running a bolt gun as fast or faster than most are with a semi if still factoring in accuracy.

I wish I had book marked it when I watched it, I don't remember exactly but off the top of my head he dropped something like 12 running hog in 15 seconds.

Some can do it with a bolt, some can do it with a lever, but I know I can't.

And in the case of the nice bear posted above I know I wouldn't even want to try :roll:
Ted Nugent For President 2016

BamBam

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:30 am

BamBam wrote:I started with single shot, got pretty good. Went to bolt, got pretty good. Went to lever, got pretty good. Went to a semi and found I was never as good as I thought I was with the others .... :D

There's a vid on YouTube of a guy running a bolt gun as fast or faster than most are with a semi if still factoring in accuracy.

I wish I had book marked it when I watched it, I don't remember exactly but off the top of my head he dropped something like 12 running hog in 15 seconds.

Some can do it with a bolt, some can do it with a lever, but I know I can't.

And in the case of the nice bear posted above I know I wouldn't even want to try :roll:

Yuppers, I have known fast guys on a bolt gun and a lever action too. But now factor in, that those piggies were trying to climb his leg and now what do his skills do??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:39 am

Fact, we had a momma sow grizzle with pups, charge. She started out at say 100yds. There were 5 of us all with bolt guns - 3ea. 30-06 and 2ea. 338 win mags. That was 18rds of 30 cal and 8rds of 338's. We all started shooting at say 50yds. By the time mad momma got to us the 338's were reloading, we managed to empty all of the weapons, that grizz nearly got us!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Firearms