5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum new loads!

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum new loads!

Postby PRKL8R » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:58 am

Commander, maybe if a major firearms manufacturer were to reintroduce the 5mmRRM as a 204RFM or 20RFM the ammo companies would jump on it like they have with the various 17s. New and improved seems to attract a lot of attention these days. A couple generations have pasted since Remington's abandonment. Federal, CCI, and Hornady are all producing bottle-neck rim-fire. This could fill a niche and bring back a truly great round.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:39 am

My thoughts exactly. The 5mm is the best magnum rimfire round ever made IMHO. I've heard that Ruger decided on the name .204 Ruger, instead of 5mm Ruger, because they didn't want their new round associated or confused with the bungled mess Remington created for anything called "5mm"...

If Aguila keeps their three new loads in production I think there's a chance someone will produce new rifles/revolvers for the 5mmRRM...best chance is probably for TC Encore barrels and things like that (they've made them previously). Taurus made a few Trackers at first...maybe they'll give it another go.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby PRKL8R » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Ruger's 77/22 mag or Hornet sure would be a nice platform. Say a 77/20 with rotary mag and picatiny scope mounts. I do believe the name change would help. How long is a patent good for? Remington's out? :idea:
PRKL8R

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm

That's exactly the platform I've thought about too...and I seriously doubt it would be any concern at all to Remington because they have been corporately very eager to forget the 5mmRRM ever existed. They sold all the tooling for the ammo to Aguila and if there was a patent on the rifles it has long-since expired. Ruger's 77/22 would be perfect for a new 5mm as long as they didn't call it that...they could name it the "Ruger .204 Rimfire Magnum" to associate it with their successful .204 Ruger centerfire cartridge, as sort of a "little brother" to that one. They could even sell sets of Ruger American .204 Ruger and a companion 77/22 in .204 Ruger Rimfire Magnum...would cover everything from rats to coyotes...

The only potential fly in the ointment for 5mm mag bolt guns is cartridge extraction, which is why the original Remmy 591/592s have that two-stage double extractor system. The 5mmRRM case rim has to be completely supported because of the high operating pressures. Possibly, newer brass formulations could allow for an extractor cut these days? I haven't checked a .17WSM rifle to see what they did with that one regarding extraction.

Actually, my ideal long gun solution for a new 5mm mag platform would be to put it in an AR-style rifle like Alexander arms has done with the .17HMR...just use the gas pressure to operate the BCG as a delayed blowback...don't have to worry about working around an extractor cut.

I should contact AA about that idea...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby awp_101 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:35 pm

commander faschisto wrote:You haven't heard loud until you uncork a .22 Mag in a short-barreled revolver!... :shock: )

It was a blast (literally) in the 3 3/8" Automag II I used to have... :mrgreen:

I used to have a 591. IIRC Navy Arms brought in some loaded ammo from Brazil around the mid-2000s. Bought a 5mm Craig conversion for mine and then sold the whole works when I realized I wasn't going to have the time or energy to fiddle with it.
awp_101

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:10 pm

commander faschisto wrote:You haven't heard loud until you uncork a .22 Mag in a short-barreled revolver!... :shock: )

cci stingers in a 3" barrel are barkers too, especially in a semiauto like p22.

i was running a bunch at the range breaking mine in and the rangemaster was all confused when he saw a box of rimfire on the bench because he though i had a 380 until he noticed the tiny holes in the paper.

talk about a flamethrower of a rimfire!
plant_one

Postby PRKL8R » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 pm

I think I been nappin' or something. Aguila finally produced a run of 5mm ammo and it must have hit the shelves around the first of the year. For anyone that has a 5mm Remington Magnum this is good news. They cost around $24 per box of 50. Not cheap but at least we can shoot these guns again! Just found out about this and have an order on the way.
PRKL8R

Previous

Return to Firearms