Skeletonized AR15 upper/lower set

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Skeletonized AR15 upper/lower set

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Saw this on Brownell's website, might be interesting to some, especially for an AR15 pistol build...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... I5cUw4PSJ9
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Skeletonized AR15 upper/lower set

Postby awp_101 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Local place carries some of their built carbines in some wild colors. They look neat but waaaaay more than I want to spend!

awp_101

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 pm

they look cool, but to me its a safety issue.

a big part of the AR15 design is such that if an out of battery incident - or other *kaboom* type situation - were to happen, much of the pressure is designed to vent through the magwell and away from the shooter's face. or out the ejection port - which again is away from the shooter for 95% of shooters - sorry lefty's (unless you're a lefty on a stag left handed upper). either way the gun is designed to move gas pressure and debris out and away from the shooters body in all but the worst catastrophic failure events.

with the magwell being skeletonized, as well as the upper, that gas and pressure and bits and peices of whatever is going to go everywhere - including out the side of the receiver thats immediately in front of and just to the side of the shooters face/arms/body.

thankfully, its not a common thing, but if i were one of those unlucky folks who does have it happen, i want as much metal there between me and that kaboom as possible to help keep as much of the unwanted bits going where its supposed to - away from my body.

just my $0.02 USD.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:51 pm

plant_one wrote:they look cool, but to me its a safety issue.

a big part of the AR15 design is such that if an out of battery incident - or other *kaboom* type situation - were to happen, much of the pressure is designed to vent through the magwell and away from the shooter's face. or out the ejection port - which again is away from the shooter for 95% of shooters - sorry lefty's (unless you're a lefty on a stag left handed upper). either way the gun is designed to move gas pressure and debris out and away from the shooters body in all but the worst catastrophic failure events.

with the magwell being skeletonized, as well as the upper, that gas and pressure and bits and peices of whatever is going to go everywhere - including out the side of the receiver thats immediately in front of and just to the side of the shooters face/arms/body.

thankfully, its not a common thing, but if i were one of those unlucky folks who does have it happen, i want as much metal there between me and that kaboom as possible to help keep as much of the unwanted bits going where its supposed to - away from my body.

just my $0.02 USD.

+1

Also, nothing like a whole new set of opportunities for crud to get in.
When will cool looking no longer trump simple, good design? :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:09 pm

I thought "tacticool" was what we were all after here....was I mistaken?

;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:26 pm

i tried tacticool, but it was a bit much to carry when hunting

so i kept my 450 kind of barebones :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

plant_one

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 am

In the photos of the "bare bones" firearms, I did not see any bells or whistles. Aren't they essential?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby plant_one » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:In the photos of the "bare bones" firearms, I did not see any bells or whistles. Aren't they essential?

sorry, the whistle is on the opposite side of the gun, just cant be seen in the pic :p

i only attach the bells when i'll be in bear country :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

plant_one

Return to Firearms