Magnetic gun cleaning mat

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Magnetic gun cleaning mat

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Now, this is a brilliant idea! (ever chased one of those microscopic pin springs around the bench?)

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collec ... leaningmat
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Magnetic gun cleaning mat

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 am

IMHO, each mat should come with a degauser as well, to remove the slight magnetic property transferred to every part you stick to the magnet. Otherwise, any metallic dust created from operating the gun, will stick to them instead of being able to be blown out with compressed air or washed out with solvent. This is especially pronounced during break-in, but continues for the life of the gun to some degree. Ask me how I know this! My stand up work surface is primarily a cast iron table saw top with a shallow shower mat on it. The short, little nubbins in the mat keep parts from rolling away. I used to have about a dozen rare earth magnets positioned around the mat to hold it firmly to the cast iron table as well as hold parts. It did not work out and now the magnets are kept as far away from what I'm working on as possible. Just food for thought...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 am

Good to know....from the school of hard knocks!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby plant_one » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am

ive been using one of those magnetic parts trays from HF forever on my bench. i get them on the free coupons.

never considered degausing before though.... interesting to ponder
plant_one

Return to Firearms