New 450 bushmaster

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

New 450 bushmaster

Postby Bigguns17 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 pm

I need some input I just recently put together me first 450 I shot it for the first time last weekend and after each time I fire the the bolt carrier would not come completely forward I would have to push charge handle in to fire the next round I thought cleaning it would help but unsure if it is deeper than that I have about 20 rounds thought it so far looking for some insight thanks
Bigguns17

Re: New 450 bushmaster

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am

Welcome aboard OM;

There are many things we could check but first, give us a rundown of the components you used in your build.
IE:
Were you using factory ammo?
Barrel make, model, gas system, surface treatment
Receiver make, model, conventional or side charging, surface treatment
BCG make, model, surface treatment
A1 or Carbine lower, make and model, type of spring, type of buffer.
Anything else you can think of.

Without knowing that info, the first question for me would be if you ease the bolt forward without a round in it, does it slip into battery w/o using the FA? IE does it only happen with a cartridge in it? Does it happen with the last round in the mag? Does it happen with several different mags? Do you have another AR on hand? If so, does the 450b upper function better using a different lower? These are the beginning questions on a branching troubleshooting tree. Cleaning is always a good discipline but running the action wet as well is often necessary on a new build to help it cycle until the gliding surfaces are polished up. Running them wet also helps transport the liberated grit from the surface treatment away from the gliding surfaces, where it can be wiped off during cleaning. Compressed air works also as long as you're not driving the grit further down into the cracks and crevices. Obviously, parts that have a specialized surface treatment such as Melonite, Nitriding, Nib, Chrome, or other friction reducing properties, reduce the time it takes for them to smooth out. I know members here who have sat watching TV and repeatedly cycled the action in and out, by hand, to polish up the gliding surfaces. The standard phosphate (mil spec) finish can have a pretty abrasive surface when its new.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 am

i;m with hoot on a fit/finish issue as the most likely culprit.

take the BCG out, degrease it, and put it back into the upper.

hand cycle it a couple hundred times without any ammo in play (200 should be fine), disassemble and re-lube it and then reassemble the upper.

between the typical phosphate finish and annodizing on most things AR, combined with tooling chatter during machining - its not hard to something to pass QC and still have a few rough edges here and there when tolerances stack against our favor.

these are usually overcome by just firing, but can be sped up by dry cycling the ar by hand.

as hoot said - as much detail as you can give us will help us diagnose your issue. please be as specific about your component list as possible, sometimes the little details mean more than we think.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

Welcome to our campfire.
+1 everything that Hoot and Plant 0n3 have said.
Plus. You can cycle using a lapping compound and just hand cycle to mate up and finish fitting, but then you’ve gotta clean all that compound off and that’s best done by complete disassembly. Not sure if you want to go through that. But if you use a very fine lapping compound it does help mate up the bolt to the barrel quickly. But you might just try running the bolt really wet with a Teflon or silicon lube when your shooting.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bigguns17 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Ok my head is spinning
The upper is a bushmaster and my lower is a mid grade Anderson mil spec nothing over the top sorry for the vage details I'm not the best with ar' s yet but give me a shotgun and I'll ripe it down and back together in 30 seconds. it seems to work fine with out any shells in it and it's with all shell in mag not just last one . I'm shooting factory hornady ammo . I'm going to do a good cleaning first them cycle bolt to see if that helps.
Deer opener is mext weekend so ill hope to shoot it then.
On a side note were is the best place to find ammo priced right for my 450
Thanks for the input.
Bigguns17

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Bigguns17 wrote:Ok my head is spinning
The upper is a bushmaster and my lower is a mid grade Anderson mil spec nothing over the top sorry for the vage details I'm not the best with ar' s yet but give me a shotgun and I'll ripe it down and back together in 30 seconds. it seems to work fine with out any shells in it and it's with all shell in mag not just last one . I'm shooting factory hornady ammo . I'm going to do a good cleaning first them cycle bolt to see if that helps.
Deer opener is mext weekend so ill hope to shoot it then.
On a side note were is the best place to find ammo priced right for my 450
Thanks for the input.

My first 450b was a Bushmaster upper as well. It came with a Bushmaster branded magazine and luck be a lady, it functioned fine. That is not always a given however. If the magazine rides even a little high in the lower, it can drag on the bottom of the BCA (Bolt Carrier Assembly). When you were cycling the action by hand without ammo in it, was the magazine still i it, just empty? If not, try with it in and see if you feel the BCA dragging on it. It doesn't take much to restrict the last part of the BCA travel, especially after it just stripped off a round. Food for thought. As for where to find 450b ammo at a good price, I'm not the guy to ask, as I've never bought a box as I'm a hard core reloader. I have bought brass for reloading though. I do know that the members keep their eyes out for good deals and post them whenever they happen across one. I seem to recall someone posting only a day or two ago, some place that had boxes for around $25. We'll see if anyone reports in. With just a week left, I'd be hesitant to order any online however and that's where most of the good price reports come from. Your profile does not say where you are located. If you post where you're at, perhaps other members in the vicinity can suggest where they get theirs locally. If it winds up being an issue with your magazine and you only have that one that came with the upper, I can loan you one that runs flawlessly (in my lower), to tide you over. Let me know.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bigguns17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:09 am

I will give it a look see tonight on the bca
And I have a couple different mags to try and a different lower.
Do you ever sell your reloads
I am in the lacrosse wi area
My father inlaw has a bunch of reloading stuff for me to use but I don't have the space yet to do it but I really want to get in to it so were is a good place to get reloading supplies.
Bigguns17

Postby Bigguns17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 am

What is your cost for reloads vs new 25 a box
Bigguns17

Postby plant_one » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am

you need a licence to sell reman/reloaded ammo

but for what its worth, 250 ftx reloads break down like this if you were to reload your own

consumables - $0.77 or $15.50/20
bullet: about $0.62
primer: $0.035
powder: $0.135

225 ftx reloads (what many of us use for plinkers)

consumables - $0.48 or $9.60/20
bullet: about $0.31
primer: $0.035
powder: $0.135

now i dont factor brass into my cost becuase its the recycleable part, but if you need it

reusable
brass (new, starline) : $0.66

hth
plant_one

Postby Bigguns17 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 am

We're is a good place to reloading supplies
Bigguns17

Next

Return to Firearms