6.5 Grendel Opportunity

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

6.5 Grendel Opportunity

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:47 am

Second to my 450b, my next favorite caliber AR is my 6.5g. Midway has a complete upper for sale for a good price. While the one I own is a 24 inch tack driver, the 20 inch one that Midway has is a good compromise for you carbine inclined shooters. Mine wears an AR Stoner barrel that was very well executed back when I got it in 2010. Food for thought if you were considering this caliber. With 123gr Amax bullets, mine is a single, slightly larger than caliber hole for 5 shots at 100 yds. Definitely easy to work up accurate recipes across many different powders and an excellent confidence booster and a good choice for CX2 and lighter game. Reliable mag feeding is not an issue in the 6.5g.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 6.5 Grendel Opportunity

Postby plant_one » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 pm

bear creek has 20" uppers even more affordably priced than that

$249 for what appears for a comparable product
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar ... -mlok-rail

i recall reading somewhere that AR-stoner barrels are being made by BCA as a private label product for midway
plant_one

Postby 303hunter » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:41 pm

plant_one wrote:bear creek has 20" uppers even more affordably priced than that

$249 for what appears for a comparable product
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar ... -mlok-rail

i recall reading somewhere that AR-stoner barrels are being made by BCA as a private label product for midway

My cousin bought a Stoner 6.5 barrel from Midway a few months ago, and it’s definitely a BCA. Reason I say definitely is last month he bought a complete 6.5 upper from BCA, and it’s barrel is identical to the Stoner, markings and all. Both are sub MOA shooters.
303hunter

Postby Zad Fnark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 am

I got a BCA 24" barrel for the Grendel.

First time out, I did 1.5" at 200 yards, so I'm happy with it.

When I got the upper, it was the only time I ever bought a complete upper. I tend to build my own. This one came with an AR Stoner 20" barrel. I could never get this one to settle in, shooting indifferent groups. After slapping the BCA barrel on it, things got better.
Zad Fnark

Postby plant_one » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:35 am

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar ... ght-flutes

well they went on sale and were in stock for like 36 hours... so one arrived a few days ago. ;) its a caliber thats caught my eye a long time ago, and at under $200 for a ready to fire upper...

ive got dies and starline brass on the way, powder and primers already here due to crossover, and just need to get some bullets and she should be good to go.
plant_one

Postby Zad Fnark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 am

Cruising the Grendel forum. IMR 8208 seems to be the powder of choice, and what I use.
Zad Fnark

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 am

Zad Fnark wrote:Cruising the Grendel forum. IMR 8208 seems to be the powder of choice, and what I use.

A good, Tried and True choice. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 am

im gonna give cfe223 a whirl.

but ive also got H4895, varget & h335 on hand to test with as well if i dont hit solid results with the CFE

a box of 95 vmax, 123 eld-m and 123gr sst's followed me home yesterday & a bag of starline 6.5G brass is in-route.

im hoping that between the melonite, and the 5R bore that this should be a nice fast tube and if i'm really lucky get a shooter.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:35 am

plant_one wrote:im gonna give cfe223 a whirl.

but ive also got H4895, varget & h335 on hand to test with as well if i dont hit solid results with the CFE

a box of 95 vmax, 123 eld-m and 123gr sst's followed me home yesterday & a bag of starline 6.5G brass is in-route.

im hoping that between the melonite, and the 5R bore that this should be a nice fast tube and if i'm really lucky get a shooter.

On the original 6.5 Grendel forum, back in 2011, H335 was the darling for the 123 Amax. I introduced the gang to 8208XBR. A lot of powders get the job done. Sometimes its worth trading off 50 fps for a stable result. My biggest challenge when the 123 Amax velocity got up near the top was primer pockets getting loose rather quickly. I used Hornady brass initially then switched to Lapua.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

primarily right now my powder choice is 100% based on what i have on the shelf. ive already got like 9 or 10 flavors on the rack. which will make me more than willing to hope for a happy accident - doubly so since it gives me an excuse to pull the trigger :mrgreen:

aside from that i wholeheartedly agree with accuracy over speed - at least most of the time.

i'll give up 50-100 fps at the drop of a hat if its the difference between a nickle sized group and a dirty hole when i'm making up a pretty paper punching load.

on the other hand if i'm making a deer huntin load... i'll take every fps back any day when the lesser quality end result is a quarter sized group.. they cant tell the diference so might as well focus on energy/trajectory gains whenever you can, within reason :)
plant_one

Next

Return to Firearms