This year's project caliber

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: This year's project caliber

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 am

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Hoot, who is this manufacturer "HSM", it escapes me...snip

Here's a link to them. A lot of foks trying to stretch their ammo budget buy from them. I won some of their 5.56 stuff at a gun show. It's ok for trigger time practice. About like the QA rejects For Practice Only that Lake City gives to LEOs and non-profits.

When I said the some of the .300 OSSM upper receiver dimensions were slightly larger than the mil spec receivers, I didn't mean unusually so. Looks like a regular A3 flat top with the port enlarged and no dust cover from the outside. Aside from the enlarged opening for the oversized barrel extension and the beefed up BCG, it's pretty much mil spec otherwise.

Hoot

Yup, I knew what you meant, thanks for clarification, some here might not know I'm teasing you. In reality I can't wait for your post on your results.

FYI, in order for them to use that much of a bigger cartridge head, they did have to use a bigger bolt and bigger barrel extension, thus a dedicated upper, to house the new larger diameter barrel extension, and what ever else they needed to accommodate that cartridge, which is considerable.

..t

PS.. HSM is not submitting it to SAMMI, only sammi members can do that and they are not on the current list. My guest is they have got a member to do it for them..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:22 am

Hoot, that is sweet. I've been dreaming up a 30 cal AR-15 round, seems it is here. What does the bolt look like on that puppy? I've always imagined using the 284/450 brass vs the Short Mags as the rim is much smaller, and I figured there wasn't enough "beef" on the bolt to make the rim any larger. Not without going to the AR-10 platform.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:55 am

lucasphi20 wrote:Hoot, that is sweet. I've been dreaming up a 30 cal AR-15 round, seems it is here. What does the bolt look like on that puppy? I've always imagined using the 284/450 brass vs the Short Mags as the rim is much smaller, and I figured there wasn't enough "beef" on the bolt to make the rim any larger. Not without going to the AR-10 platform.

From the oa2.org site, here is an image of the difference in the BCG and from the Dtech site a picture of the different bolts.

First day it gets above 40, I'll be out there doing my barrel break-in. I gotta get some rounds down the barrel soon or I'll lose my mind. It certainly adds to what the locals refer to as cabin fever. You get it towards the end of our long winters, being mostly stuck indoors. "Here's Johnny!" Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Wow, so they basically crammed an AR-10 bolt into an AR-15 bolt carrier. I wonder how they will stand up over time? There doesn't seem to be much beef on the underside of the bolt carrier. Hoot, I look forward to seeing the range info once the temp rises to reasonable.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:21 am

lucasphi20 wrote:Wow, so they basically crammed an AR-10 bolt into an AR-15 bolt carrier. I wonder how they will stand up over time? There doesn't seem to be much beef on the underside of the bolt carrier. Hoot, I look forward to seeing the range info once the temp rises to reasonable.

I've never read a stress analysis of a BCG, but I'd guess the area around the cam pin would be where most of the stress is concentrated. Also, this is not a "blammo ammo" caliber where you go out every time and dump several hundred rounds through it. Time will indeed,tell...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Hoot, that doesn't look exactly like an AR15 Carrier. In other words, I don't think you can use your AR15 carrier. Have you tried the carrier in your AT upper?? I'm thinking that you just can not open up your AR carrier and go for it, or what? I may be way wrong, so I'm just looking for your thoughts along these lines..t

Ps.. Great Pics..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 pm

wildcatter wrote:Hoot, that doesn't look exactly like an AR15 Carrier. In other words, I don't think you can use your AR15 carrier. Have you tried the carrier in your AT upper?? I'm thinking that you just can not open up your AR carrier and go for it, or what? I may be way wrong, so I'm just looking for your thoughts along these lines..t

Ps.. Great Pics..t

No, I haven't Tim, but I can see tomorrow. I was just heading to bed.
PS: They're not my pictures. They're from the Olympic Arms forum.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Hoot said
" Last year it was agonizing in the spring waiting for the upper to arrive. This year it is agonizing with an upper waiting for spring to arrive. "

LOL!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 am

wildcatter wrote:See what Happens when I open the can of worms. Before my work the 223 and the 6mm/223 were all that was available, now the sky's the limit. In the early days, I was chastised for making the statements we all now know to be true. Even Jim Sullivan (the actual man behind the M-16), joined a group of engineers, from Wayne State University, and they proved, beyond a shadow of doubt, that the 450 Bushmaster (the 45 pro then) was NOT possible. By the end of the Study, they all asked me to build them a weapon. Now many of the original Nay-Sayers are making their version of my "Not-Possible", work. I for one welcome the developments, the science is way too important. A-Square is about to release a .510 cal monster AR, and, as is in this 30cal that hoot is working on, will require a totally different upper, to accommodate the larger barrel extension and larger bolt.

Way to go Hoot, can't wait to read your experiences with that 30 cal.

Ps..Who is it, that is submitting it to SAMMI?

..t

Hey Catter, A-Squares going to be on a AR15 or AR10 platform? Any other details?

Might save me some headaches.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am

Yuppers Al, I had a pow-wow with A-Square's CEO, Arthur Alphin. Years ago I urged him to use the P14 & 17 action for some monster cartridges. He used my ideas and went for it, but then 17 Enfields were plentiful, now he's in the process of making a whole new "Magnum Length" action of his own design.

While meeting with him, he was effervescing, to show me his new AR Cartridge. It's a .510 cal on a .603" rimless case, again of his own design. He is increasing the size of the upper, as we have already discussed, to accommodate the new Broncho Buster. Of course, he didn't like the idea, that he wasn't the first to do so, and I told him about the 20mm cannon round on the AR System and about all the other Large Rim-Size Cartridges too, but then again his will be a brute and designed to fit the AR Mags and will be a serious killer, even if there will be pretty much, only one bullet suitable for the weapon, again that bullet he is making himself.

One could shoot the 650gr military bullets, in the Bad-Boy, and it-shore-do-looks-bad, but diminished returns will rule the day. I'll use the analogy again, quoting myself .."I can make a bowling ball come out the end of an AR barrel, but the only thing in danger, are your toes".. For all these Big Bores we're pretty much done at 350gr and the 350gr-RN Hornady .458", sized to .452" is very excellent, but by the time we get to the 45-70 405 grainers we are starting to diminish in over-all performance, hence, the designed I made for Barnes that has become the most excellent 325gr Barnes Buster. I wanted higher speeds and about the end of the line for the 45cal, big boys and indeed I'm getting 2100fps out of that bullet, in a 450b. The .458"-400gr Barnes Buster, if used in the 458 socom, at it's usual speed of say, 1500-1600 fps won't even come close to the performance of the 450b with the same bullet, at 325grs and 2100fps, in kill ratios.. Those guys for the 458 socom keep insisting on using those bullets that are too heavy for the cartridge, to the over-all kill performance. Don't get me wrong, the sosom using the 405's is still a potent killer, just not the best it could be, BUUTTT, then again they don't have our choices, do they..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms