This year's project caliber

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: This year's project caliber

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm

wildcatter wrote:Hoot, that doesn't look exactly like an AR15 Carrier. In other words, I don't think you can use your AR15 carrier. Have you tried the carrier in your AT upper?? I'm thinking that you just can not open up your AR carrier and go for it, or what? I may be way wrong, so I'm just looking for your thoughts along these lines..t

Ps.. Great Pics..t

Well, I checked and the carrier fits perfectly in my 450b receiver. Obviously, the bolt doesn't engage the smaller barrel extension though. The Olympic charging handle is a little wimpier than the Bushmaster one. Not out of necessity, just ever so slightly lighter gauge. They could have been a little more aggressive with the gas key screw staking also. Otherwise it looks the same as my two other carriers on the outside. It has the extra metal at the rear like an M16 bolt carrier.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok then, guess the only serious change is to the Upper, to accommodate the larger, barrel extension and nut, so you can use that larger bolt, meaning, it is not a std upper..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm

wildcatter wrote:Ok then, guess the only serious change is to the Upper, to accommodate the larger, barrel extension and nut, so you can use that larger bolt, meaning, it is not a std upper..t

That's correct. I'm aging in dog years waiting for decent shooting weather. :cry:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Ok then, guess the only serious change is to the Upper, to accommodate the larger, barrel extension and nut, so you can use that larger bolt, meaning, it is not a std upper..t

That's correct. I'm aging in dog years waiting for decent shooting weather. :cry:

Hoot

Common Hoot, we're getting 20" of snow tonight and I plan on being in it all day tomorrow and shooting as well..t We have been intrigued by your project and now we gotta wait? I'm going to cry (is it working yet?)..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

Ya Hoot! Get the boots on! I'm sitting here in the Holiday Inn Express in OKC snowed in and bored to death.

I was going to purchase a 358 upper from Dtech (but now I did this scout rifle thing), but talking with Mike at Dtech, Oly opens up the front of the receiver to accept a little larger extension -- then the receiver is anodized. The barrel nut is the same. I would really rather see this set up on a lo-pro dpms receiver rather than an A3.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 am

Siringo wrote:Ya Hoot! Get the boots on! I'm sitting here in the Holiday Inn Express in OKC snowed in and bored to death.

I was going to purchase a 358 upper from Dtech (but now I did this scout rifle thing), but talking with Mike at Dtech, Oly opens up the front of the receiver to accept a little larger extension -- then the receiver is anodized. The barrel nut is the same. I would really rather see this set up on a lo-pro dpms receiver rather than an A3.

I would agree on the lo-pro, but I really appreciate a forward assist. The dust cover is no big deal though. I don't hunt in the desert.

Something I may not have mentioned, I don't recall. I suffer from an affliction called Raynaud's Phenomenon.

When I'm out in cold air, regardless of how I'm dressed, my central nervous system thinks I'm freezing to death. It constricts the blood vessels in my hands and feet and redirects the blood to my vital organs in an attempt to save me. We all have this reflex, but some people have an uncommonly strong reaction. Perhaps it is contributed to by spending the first 22 years of my life in Maryland, with it's hot, humid weather and being right at sea level. The cold and mosquitoes are drawbacks to living here, but the positive aspects make me choose to stay. When it's below 40F, I go out to go to work and run errands. Of course, I bundle up like the Michelin man for deer season and stuff lots of chemical warmers in every unused pocket. I wear boots rated at -120F to go out in 20F. All they do is delay how long it takes for my heat to bleed off, but it eventually does. The dog and I walk a mile every evening and the exercise, combined with the insulated clothing keep me from going numb before I can get home. I have a crash bag I take in the car whenever I go somewhere, with my Herman Munster boots, a snowmoblie suit, a case of chemical warmers and two pair of Sherpa mittens. That's in case the car breaks down or gets a flat. It's the price I pay for living here. Since the first snow here lasts until the last snow here, it piles up layer upon layer. Right now the tops of the shooting tables on the rifle range are even with the snow cover.

I'd be tickled to just go out and get my 50 rounds of barrel break-in done right now. I have considered buying one of those rapidly deployable ground blind tents to take to the range, which when combined with a propane sunflower heater would keep the inside tolerable, but a friend pointed out that the heat will liberate too much moisture and everything inside will be soaked with condensation from the tracked in, melted snow.

So, I wait and I milk indoor projects for all the time content possible. I look out the windows at all the snowmobilers flying past the house and shake my head. I may cave in and go out as soon as we get a sunny, windless day with temps in the 20s and just run back and forth to the truck. It'll take some effort to clear out two of the shooting tables. One to shoot off of and one for the cleaning rig, but if I don't shoot something soon, I'll lose my mind. It's an addiction... ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 am

That's not good -- guess we will cut you a little slack.

I'm iffy on the FA -- with this particular setup --. It has its pluses and minuses and has been debated for 50 years, but I don't think it is needed for my purposes.
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:38 am

Well, it ain't much better here. About two inches of sleet still
On the ground here with no chance of a thaw until Friday.
Now for Leonard, TX (75452)

Temp: 12F
Feels like: -4F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 73%
Wind: NNW at 13 mph
Updated: 2/2/11 8:05 AM CST
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 am

Hoot wrote: I have considered buying one of those rapidly deployable ground blind tents to take to the range, which when combined with a propane sunflower heater would keep the inside tolerable, but a friend pointed out that the heat will liberate too much moisture and everything inside will be soaked with condensation from the tracked in, melted snow.

Hoot

I think you could lay down a little plastic or a piece of painted plywood for a floor, and then the blind and heater and you should be good to go.
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 am

bushmeister wrote:
Hoot wrote: I have considered buying one of those rapidly deployable ground blind tents to take to the range, which when combined with a propane sunflower heater would keep the inside tolerable, but a friend pointed out that the heat will liberate too much moisture and everything inside will be soaked with condensation from the tracked in, melted snow.

Hoot

I think you could lay down a little plastic or a piece of painted plywood for a floor, and then the blind and heater, put a floormat outside to knock off the excess snow and you should be good to go.
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms