This year's project caliber

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: This year's project caliber

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Tried to drive into town today to work and almost ended up in a creek bottom. Finally got turned around, called my boss and told him NO WAY today. It took me 30 minutes to drive six miles back to the house and I almost took out my light pole and my grill trying to park. 
I'm gonna get cabin fever if this stuff doesn't go away soon. 
I hate ice storms. 
Stop Global Warming.jpg
What What!?
Stop Global Warming.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, it got up to 34, so I bundled up and braved the elements today. I needed this outing as much for the restorative effect on the soul as to prove out the mechanics and break in the barrel, all of which were successful. I haven't shot in 3 1/2 months. In a phrase, What a pussycat! With one of Ross' brakes, the slip on limbsaver and my DIY knockoff of Gunnut's Recoil-Less A2 stock, it was like my 6mm Remington bolt action pushing 55gr pills. No lie! That was while sending a 160-165gr bullets downrange at around 2775fps. Since I was loading just to break in the barrel, I wasn't pushing the speed up as far as it could go. To make the task a little less dull, I loaded both the Hornady 160gr FTX for the Marlin Express in half and 165gr Speed BTSP in the other half, ahead of 45gr of H4895. I also broke them up with four different primers. Accuracy was not benchrest grade as I was constantly stopping and cleaning and combined with the cold, it was distracting enough to keep me from finding my groove. Basically shoot 1 clean X8, shoot 2 clean X8 and shoot 3 clean x8. I had given the barrel a good JB Paste treatment before going out, so it was not much of a challenge to break in the stainless steel barrel. The only drawback from loading them a little slow was all 48 rounds short-stroked about 3/4 of an inch. That same load at normal temps should be fine. Also, I suspect there is a stiffening effect from cold on the lubricants and the springs. Me too. ;)

I look forward to working up some effective loads for it this year. I've got numbers to crunch for now...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Here's the break-in targets. Keep in mind, they were just something to aim at while breaking-in the barrel:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Firearms