Single shot cva 450bushmaster

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Single shot cva 450bushmaster

Postby MWillms » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:55 am

[list=][/list]looking to see if anyone out there with a single shoot 450 have shot any other rounds through it?
Hoping to know if anyone has shot 45acp thought your single shot 450 bushmaster? Just looking for back up ammo not trying to change my hunting from hornady black anyone have any actual insight please get back
MWillms

Re: Single shot cva 450bushmaster

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:33 pm

MWillms wrote:[list=][/list]looking to see if anyone out there with a single shoot 450 have shot any other rounds through it?
Hoping to know if anyone has shot 45acp thought your single shot 450 bushmaster? Just looking for back up ammo not trying to change my hunting from hornady black anyone have any actual insight please get back

Welcome aboard OM!

Both of those calibers are rimless. They headspace off the front lip of their cases stopping at the end of the chamber. The chamber for the 450b is a lot longer than a 45 ACP, so when it stops its forward travel, it will be about an inch away from the bolt and its firing pin. So, No.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby SAWMAN » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 am

I have just acquired a CVA Hunter chambered in 450B. I bought it used but it is like new.
Three boxes of different factory ammo came with it. I have another stock coming for it that will lessen the LOP by 1". ( From just over 14" to just over 13").
My Lyman digital trigger pull gauge shows the trigger breaks at just over 3lbs which is great for my purposes. My main application for this gun will be hunting using bullets/loads just above sub. Will try to stay around 1150-1200fps. If this weapon will shoot some nice groups will transfer my thermal sight off my 6.8SPCII/AR and onto this gun for night time hogs.
My thermal is rated for 308Win but do not want to take any chances with recoil inertia. Almost all the night time hogs can be stalked,so our shots are typically <150yds and 75% of the shots are <100yds. I can "dial" that into my thermal.
Now looking into a 450B upper for one of my AR's. Wondering if a mid or even rifle gassed WITH adjustable gas block are offered anywhere ??
Anyway,great forum,with tons of info for the 450B guys. Glad to be here. --- SAWMAN
"Why just dance when you can rock and roll."
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:03 pm

SAWMAN wrote:I have just acquired a CVA Hunter chambered in 450B. I bought it used but it is like new.
Three boxes of different factory ammo came with it. I have another stock coming for it that will lessen the LOP by 1". ( From just over 14" to just over 13").
My Lyman digital trigger pull gauge shows the trigger breaks at just over 3lbs which is great for my purposes. My main application for this gun will be hunting using bullets/loads just above sub. Will try to stay around 1150-1200fps. If this weapon will shoot some nice groups will transfer my thermal sight off my 6.8SPCII/AR and onto this gun for night time hogs.
My thermal is rated for 308Win but do not want to take any chances with recoil inertia. Almost all the night time hogs can be stalked,so our shots are typically <150yds and 75% of the shots are <100yds. I can "dial" that into my thermal.
Now looking into a 450B upper for one of my AR's. Wondering if a mid or even rifle gassed WITH adjustable gas block are offered anywhere ??
Anyway,great forum,with tons of info for the 450B guys. Glad to be here. --- SAWMAN

I would imagine that if you intend to run suppressed, a 16" with a carbine length gas system might be a better choice but I'll leave that to members who actually have the patience and money to get a suppressor for their 450b, to chime in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby SAWMAN » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 am

No supressors for me. I was planning on shooting just above super . . using NO supressor.
Another option would be,if shooting this way,do not need the 25 inches of bbl.
Just might chop it to 18 and add a brake. --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:57 am

SAWMAN wrote:No supressors for me. I was planning on shooting just above super . . using NO supressor.
Another option would be,if shooting this way,do not need the 25 inches of bbl.
Just might chop it to 18 and add a brake. --- SAWMAN

Whenever I read "chop off a barrel", my blood runs cold as I'm a big fan of longer barrels for free speed and to move the muzzle blast as far away as possible. An important consideration: In underloading a round to reduce its speed, try to choose a powder that keeps the case fill at 80% or more. If that means using Trailboss or some slower burning powder than is customary for this caliber, so be it but you will be hard pressed to get an AR to cycle with the 450b loaded down that slow, regardless of what powder you use.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby SAWMAN » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:37 pm

With respect sir . . . as in the name of the thread . . "SINGLE SHOT".
If I wear going to run just above super,with an 18" bbl,and no surpressor,would there be a downside to that.
I would think that the shorter bbl would help stay slower with most any powder charge.
I will use the appropriate appropriate powder. --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:16 pm

Sawman wrote:...snip...Now looking into a 450B upper for one of my AR's. Wondering if a mid or even rifle gassed WITH adjustable gas block are offered anywhere ??
Anyway,great forum,with tons of info for the 450B guys

That's what I was referring to. In the single shot CVA that's obviously not an issue. Some of the more popular powders we use in the 450b, burn rather quickly. LilGun for example reaches peak pressure with only 16" of barrel when pushing factory 250gr ammo. That's why I'd recommend just switching to a slower powder and keeping the long barrel intact. It also helps if you ever decide to sell it. BTW, do not get an AR barrel with a rifle length gas system. They are hard to get to run reliably with an assortment of bullet weights, especially those less than 250gr. For a 20" barrelled AR, its hard to beat a mid-length system. IMHO, if you go with a 16" or shorter barrel, a carbine length gas system is hard to beat. I can't speak to an 18" with a mid-length gas system however. Never tried that. I'm sure some members here have however and perhaps they can chime in. They may not see this since they may think the thread mainly deals with a single shot. If you get a stronger urge to get an AR upper, perhaps start a separate thread just about it in the AR 15 Style Rifles sub-forum.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby SAWMAN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 am

Understood all sir. Thank you for your input.
I never want to stop learning. I feel that the 450B will become one of my favorite shooters.
Now that I am older,in the last several years I have been selling quite a bit of my fairly extensive gun collection. I call it . . "Consolidation ". Most all of my big boomers are gone,however will surely keep the 450B in my collection. A couple AR's in this chambering are coming. Most likely in both pistol and rifle configurations.
Again . . . thank you for your input. --- SAWMAN
STONER 63A
XM177E2
COLT 609
SAWMAN

Return to Firearms