410 upper

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

410 upper

Postby dcbeattie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 pm

I just bought a DPMS ar and ordered a 450bm upper.. While looking around for uppers I found a .410 shotgun upper.. Anybody tried one of these?..
It would be almost as cool as the 450. I am also looking at some kind of 22lr conversion or full upper.
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Re: 410 upper

Postby MudBug » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Was that the CMMG .410 upper? I knew it was out there but haven't heard anything about it.

I have a dedicated 22lr AR that I love shooting. It has an 11.5" barrel (looks like a 10.5" though because of the barrel set-back on dedicated 22's) and works great with my YHM Mite 22 lr suppresor.

Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby dcbeattie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:03 pm

The one I found was from a Turkish company called Safir .. called the T-14. American Tactical was/is an importer. Comes with the upper and a 5 shot magazine.
There are a bunch of videos on Youtube. A couple of dealers claim to have them in stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=971002
http://www.gunztuff.com/detail/?nPID=1241
It just looks like something that could be fun.. going down to the local skeet/trap or even better sporting clays with an AR would be humorous.. :D
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby dcbeattie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Just in case anybody cares.... Interesting discussion on this 410 upper...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 1&t=434766
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby dcbeattie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Since nobody (except Mudbug) replied, I bought one from Midway USA. Finally got to shoot it at some clay birds. It's great fun. A friend and I were shooting in my backyard in Montana. He had his Remington 105cti and I was using my T-14 upper on a DPMS lower. After a little getting used to I was hitting and breaking just as many birds he was with a 12 gauge. I had the modified choke on. That seems to be the one that 410 guys recommend for skeet. With much less recoil. I have found that all 2 1/2 inch .410 shells are not the same length. The absolute max that will fit in the magazine are the Remington ones in the picture. Winchesters are just a little bit longer and will not fit. The remingtons started to stick a little after I dropped the mag in the dirt. They seemed to be dragging on the nose of the shell. After I cleaned it, it worked pretty good if you gave the magazine a whack to settle everything out. I haven't tried the Federals yet, but they are a little shorter and should work the best. It also looks like some of the federal personal defense loads (000 buck or #4 shot) are good. The little dodads in the close up are some external chokes I bought. They are for a Saiga 410. The threads on the barrel where some odd thread.. Metric I think. I re-threaded every thing for 5/8 x 24. The choke set has a Full (or seems to be extra full), a Modified and a thread protector. The upper came with the brake shown in the center. The mounted one is the modified choke. I included a 450 Bushmaster load for comparison.
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby MudBug » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 pm

That's actually kinda cool.

Now bring us pics of game birds and squirrels you took with it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:05 pm

:D I like it... :? a Taurus Judge & a .410ga AR stuffed with Fed 000 buck :? sounds like a great setup 8-) Only MidwayUSA is getting all my pay cheks rite now! :oops:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby dcbeattie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 pm

I thought a Judge would make a nice companion piece to go with this.. The good thing about the Judge is a couple for ammo manufacturers have come out with 2 1/2 .410 shells for self defense. And it's smaller than my S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun.
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Very informative review dcbeattie, just the info I have been waiting on for the .410 conversion uppers. Thanks again! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm

MudBug wrote:That's actually kinda cool.

Now bring us pics of game birds and squirrels you took with it.

I agree.. I would love that as a rabbit/squirrel gun.. lol

too bad that 410 ammo is so expensive..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Next

Return to Firearms