500 S&W Handi-Rifle

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

500 S&W Handi-Rifle

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 pm

:) I had toyed around with the idea for awhile now, especially after my luv affair with the H&R Buffalo Classic ;) The "Thumper" was a priority item though, so it took a back seat to the Bushy. :| My son calls all the time when one comes into his shop :? so what the hell :roll: I bought one 2 days ago with a box of $53 Hornady FlexTips :oops: I'm gettin' some 450b dies for Christmas :D but don't think I can wait till next Christmas for the 500sw dies ;)
:shock: I'm gonna need a whole lotta H110 & RL7 in the days ahead :oops:

:? Anybody else out there foolin' with a 500 S&W cartridge? :|
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: 500 S&W Handi-Rifle

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Me.. But I've got to tell you and to get you guys thinking (as if you are not already, silly me), though the 500 has better paper numbers and the way you kill everything in sight, lucky duck, the 475's just plain KILLS better, and sometimes fly better. Funny thing is, even with say the 50bmg, if you neck it down a little (.475 ) or up a little (say .525), everything dramatically changes, it's as if the 50's are into diminishing returns or something. Not that any of the 50's are underpowered, not at all and I love them, but the same cartridges can be greatly improved by going either up or down slightly. Just a little FYI here, and I cant wait to here how that 500 is doing, maybe we can trade loads..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

DU, I have you covered on dies (Lee I think) and brass, even some cast boolits.

I dumped my 4" S&W last summer, just didn't see the gains it had over my 500 Linebaugh, and I'm sorta a single action freak anyways. 8-)

let me root them up and see what all is left.
Al in Mi

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:34 pm

:) Thanks Al... I shot it this week at the camp :? and I have to say it really :o kicks like a mule! 10 rounds & I was DONE! :oops:
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:04 am

:shock: Shot it 5 more times yesterday... :? it hurts so bad :oops: it's just stupid to keep doin' it! 8-) ...but I luv it! :lol: it's like a bar room fight when you get your ass kicked :? and you keep standin' up anyway!!! :lol:
MOUNTIN DU

Postby bushmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 pm

DU, you got my attention on this one and I found this article.. He seems to agree with your kick assessment :lol:
I'd like to try it tho.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_re ... index.html
bushmeister

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:34 pm

:) I actually saw that article when it was in print... thought it was over rated then :roll: yeah, yeah, yeah :? they all kick like hell :roll:
I'm 5'7", 240lbs and recoil was never a problem for me :shock: EXCEPT with 3.5" 12ga. heavy turkey loads :oops: Seriously :? this gun will cure your flinching problems after a box of 20 rounds; :? everything else is a piece of cake :lol: ...unless you're shootin' a Barrett 50bmg bolt gun I guess :!:
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

:) box of barnes xpb 375gr coppers on the way from midway. ;) lookin' to get 2000fps from the 22" H&R barrel. Online data is showing 1800fps from a 8.5" revolver with massive charges of H110 :mrgreen:
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

:shock: well... wish me luck :? i just finished loading 10rds of the .50 375gr xpb's over 40grs h110 for a starter load. plan to chrono them on sunday 8-)
:D i "neck" sized the cases about 1 diameter(.50") down from the mouth to support the bullet which is seated out far enough to almost engage the rifling. this leaves the "resized" cartridge fully supported at both ends in the chamber, plenty of room for more powder, and the shortest possible lead... a trick i learned yrs ago when i started loading other straight walled cases; including handgun cartridges. ;)
MOUNTIN DU

Return to Firearms