free float handguard/tube

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

free float handguard/tube

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:03 am

My 5.56 upper is a 16" Bushmaster 'shorty' (NOT the 16" with the full length hand guards) that has the standard plastic military 2 piece handguards. It also has a front sight installed - looks very similar to this pic

6.8-UpperBW.png
6.8-UpperBW.png (26.46 KiB) Viewed 15102 times

Can i convert it to a free float tube/handguard? (such as is on the BM 450B)

What is involved and how complicated it is?

I am just looking for some improved accuracy and dont want to spend a ton of money.. I sorta like the Hogue rubber tube which is reasonable or something similar.. I do not want/need the rails and I want to keep the front sight as it is..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: free float handguard/tube

Postby MudBug » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

yes you can do.

It will require a few tools and some hoospah

You'll need

Reciever block (Clamshell or DPMS type)

Barrel nut wrench

Hammer

Pin punches.

This Thread has a how-to on pg 1

I hope this helps.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 pm

considering I have NONE of those tools except the hammer.. Any idea what a gunsmith would charge to do the switch if I provide the parts?
there is a gunsmith that sets up at the local gun shows with all his tools...

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Looking at the free float tubes.. Most of them say '2 piece', but I dont see a split in the tube.. am i missing something?

b
thatguy

Postby MudBug » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm not sure what a gunsmith would charge, but probably about what you could buy the tools for, except you wouldn't have the tools when you are done. it's not that hard and then you can feel good about doing it yourself.

I'm not sure about any "2-piece" free float tubes other that the Troy and samson.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Colohunter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 am

By two piece they may mean that there is the actual tube and then a barrel nut included in the package. There are a couple companies that make two piece rails that go on with minor modification, such as cutting off the delta ring.

The only rail system I can think of off hand that doesn't require any modification is the Daniel Defense Omega. It is a two piece design that fits into your normal delta ring, then uses screws to clamp the back of it in place without the front touching. It isn't cheap, but would allow you to have a free floating rail without modifying anything.

I know that isn't really the setup you were looking for, but that is the only way to do it that I know of without modifications. If you were in the Denver area I could give you a hand, but if you are a member of Arfcom you mind be able to find someone local to help you out.
Colohunter

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:12 am

MudBug wrote:I'm not sure what a gunsmith would charge, but probably about what you could buy the tools for, except you wouldn't have the tools when you are done. it's not that hard and then you can feel good about doing it yourself.

I'm not sure about any "2-piece" free float tubes other that the Troy and samson.

I couldn't agree more and doing it yourself will make you a better shooter and when you're done you've got the tools to do other jobs as well. It would be a Sin, not to learn this stuff yourself..

I always recommend the YouTube as a great aid for instruction. If you want to do it, someone already has, and put it on the YouTube. Consider the following..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4XzPll9U8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryr0wZ7 ... re=related - On this one notice the Hand guard removal tool, you won't need mussels or an assistant to get the hand guards off with one of these.

And finally, view this one and go to the site recommended in the clip. All this should start you on the road to a real Root'en-Toot'em Gun Hack and quite frankly, smelling like the guys that hang with the Mudder.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKHQGSzj ... re=related

As you can see the YouTube goodies and the guys here wont let you screw up, provided you do your part, using common sense and proper safety procedures. I myself have a desk in the corner of my Range Lab and yesterday looked at some larger flat screens, to be used in conjunction with the standard computer screen, in a two screen configuration. The new large screen to be placed in the corner, well above head hight, so that all in the shop can see the instructions and learn together.

Now, go forth and Sin no more..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks for the youtube links and all the advice.. That looks way easy to do and Im leaning that way..

One more question...

1) Does my rifle have carbine length handguards? they ones taken off have a 6" areas of exposed grip area.. From the receiver end of the D ring to the backmost part of the front sight is 7"

thanks

Brian
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

thatguy wrote:Thanks for the youtube links and all the advice.. That looks way easy to do and Im leaning that way..

One more question...

1) Does my rifle have carbine length handguards? they ones taken off have a 6" areas of exposed grip area.. From the receiver end of the D ring to the backmost part of the front sight is 7"

thanks

Brian

Hey Brian,

The picture you provided in your first post look like they are carbine length to me..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:33 am

brian- what exactly do you need done? I would be more than happy to help.

Also remember that with the Hogue free float stuff the barrel nut is biggr than most. Barrel wrenches will not fit and youll have to use a strap wrench. I think youll like the hogue I just wish they made one in FDE.
Mike

Next

Return to Firearms