Lower Sale

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Lower Sale

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Edward78 wrote:The sale is just this weekend I think and not to burst any body's bubble but I have read that Palmettos lowers are built by the same people that build Olympic Lowers but that probably only pertains to the ones with Safe/Fire not the pictograms

Ed

Olympic is one of a few manufacturers who still machine their lowers and apply the coatings in house. They actually sub-contract them for about 6 other companies and put those company's logo on them. They don't forge the blanks though. Those come from one of the few forging houses that everyone uses.

The problem I'm facing is that my RRA NM lower pulls quadruple duty. Though the 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel uppers are not particularly punishing, the 450b and 300 WSSM are taking their toll on the front pivot point. I'd actually pay more for a certified, tougher at the pivot point, lower.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Edward78 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:57 pm

So you are using one lower for all your uppers I was doing that for a wile with a Olympic lower but now the Olympic lower is dedicated to the 450 Bushmaster and I have 4 other Spikes lowers I got from a group buy on another forum for my 2 5.56's, 6.8, and 300 Blackout. The 450 and the 300 OSSM would have put a beating on a lower after a wile.

Ed

Olympic is one of a few manufacturers who still machine their lowers and apply the coatings in house. They actually sub-contract them for about 6 other companies and put those company's logo on them. They don't forge the blanks though. Those come from one of the few forging houses that everyone uses.

The problem I'm facing is that my RRA NM lower pulls quadruple duty. Though the 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel uppers are not particularly punishing, the 450b and 300 WSSM are taking their toll on the front pivot point. I'd actually pay more for a certified, tougher at the pivot point, lower.

Hoot
Ed
Edward78

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 pm

BTW Ed, where in Maryland? I grew up near Dundalk (West Inverness). My Dad and Sister are still there, though she moved to Rosedale and then Monkton. I came out here on vacation in 1976 and fell in love with the area. Stayed for two weeks, went home, got my affairs in order, sold everything I couldn't cram in my Maverick and was back two weeks later. Been here ever since.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Edward78 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 am

Hoot wrote:BTW Ed, where in Maryland? I grew up near Dundalk (West Inverness). My Dad and Sister are still there, though she moved to Rosedale and then Monkton. I came out here on vacation in 1976 and fell in love with the area. Stayed for two weeks, went home, got my affairs in order, sold everything I couldn't cram in my Maverick and was back two weeks later. Been here ever since.

Hoot

I live in the Southern part of MD right by the Rt 301 Bridge into Virginia its called Newburg MD. I have been to Dundalk before i don't blame you for leaving MD it sucks in many ways very liberal state.

Ed
Edward78

Postby mossy89 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

Sweet, it still says theyre $79. I can't find the ar10 308 lowers anywhere though. I want my next build to be able to really far and still have a lot of knock down power. Would the .308 be a good way to go?
mossy89

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am

mossy89 wrote:Sweet, it still says theyre $79. I can't find the ar10 308 lowers anywhere though. I want my next build to be able to shoot really far and still have a lot of knock down power. Would the .308 be a good way to go?

Define "really far".
For the most part, a .308 will serve you well across many terrains. I've taken some big MN white tails with my G3, though they've been woods deer. I can't speak for DRT range beyond 100 yards in that caliber, but I've never had to track any of the deer I shot with my G3 and good old Federal 150gr Power-Shoks. Cheap and effective on white tails.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby mossy89 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 am

Haha, I really dont know how far. I think a 308 build would be cool. Can I do 308 in an ar15 lower or does it have to be an ar10?
mossy89

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:31 am

mossy89 wrote:Haha, I really dont know how far. I think a 308 build would be cool. Can I do 308 in an ar15 lower or does it have to be an ar10?

In another thread, they were discussing that a company has a single shot .308 upper for an AR15 lower, but for less that it costs, you can get a .300 WSSM upper that is designed for the AR15 lower, so you don't need to get another lower. just swap uppers depending upon what you want to shoot that day.

The .300 WSSM AKA OSSM, will toss a 150gr bullet out the pipe at 3000+ fps and a 180gr at 2850fps. That actually is more like .30-06 power on an AR15 platform.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby mossy89 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am

Hmm, that would probably be a lot easier. I am wanting to do another lower though. I love my spikes tactical I have now with my bushy on top. Too, down the road I want to get the beowulf haha.
mossy89

Postby thatguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

For anyone need more than one stripped lower here is a place that offers 3 aero precision lowers (based on what I read they are from the same mfg as the Spikes and Armalite - and the Palmetto state) for $189.. That makes the price $63 each..

http://tdsguns.com/store/product/6733/A ... 223-Multi/

I havent found no negative comments on the aero precision online..

iM thinking about selling a winchester 94 30-30 that I havent shot in years to buy 3 lowers..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms